Friday, June 10, 2016

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - Honk if You Feel Fine Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


TGIF!  As the temperature cranks up, so does the musical fun.  First of all, it was great to see Darrin Bradbury playing with Megan Palmer as part of the Don Gallardo residency at The 5 Spot yesterday. Second of all, Don Gallardo!!!!  Man oh man!  He is so good.  He still has a few more weeks left in residency, and I high recommend you get yourself down there.  I understand that next week he has the red hot band The Cordovas lead by Joe Firstman.  The Cordovas were recently added to the lineup for the Americana Music Association Festival in September, but you can see them next Thursday without a wristband.

I had a great time hanging out with friends last night and a few of us migrated over to Drifters to see Tim Carroll and Luella along backed by Cameron Carrus and Toby Caldwell.

My point is that this was first class, grade A musical talent all within a couple of blocks in East Nashville on a pleasant Thursday evening.  Sometimes, I think we, here, take what we have for granted, and I was grateful for the opportunity last night to really appreciate what we have.

A final notice (from this forum), that Double Shot with Joe and Sue on WXNA-LP Nashville debuts tomorrow morning at 11am Central. This is my new radio show with the amazing Sue Havlish.  Speaking for myself, I am beyond humbled to get this opportunity to join this incredible radio station that has already reshaped the Nashville airwaves.  You can tune in at 101.5FM if you are in the immediate Nashville area.  Everyone else, can listen via wxnafm.org or via the TuneIn App.

On Friday, we play some featured music...



"Sweater" by Bay Kee

Bay Kee is the solo project of Christine Spilka of The Jean Jackets. Part of the Mama Coco's Funky Kitchen collective that is making so much awesome music. This song is from Wonder Wild which was released back in January.  Great stuff!

"The Devil Called Your Name" by Ashleigh Flynn

Coincidentally, the shuffle brings up Ashleigh Flynn just two days after I saw her play live a Garden Party Concert in Hermitage. This is a track from A Million Stars album which was initially inspired by a discarded drawing done by Flynn's young niece.  This is the opening track on the album.
"Angel" by Tommy Womack

This happens to be the lead track from Tommy Womack's forthcoming album Namaste, and equally coincidentally, he was a topic of conversation at the Ashleigh Flynn show which I attended along with my fellow music blogger, Too Much Country (who was sporting a t-shirt from Womack's band Government Cheese).  Anyway, on this track, Womack channels a nifty 1950s vibe which I like a lot. 

"Honk If You Feel Fine" by The Foresters

The Foresters are back in the shuffle. This is a recent single which will be on the band's new album which is in production.  This will serve as a good preview of the latest musical evolution for this young but experienced band whose dedication and devotion to their craft was noticed and appreciated last month when they opened the E2TG Anniversary show at The 5 Spot. 

"Freak of Nature" by Anastacia

Okay, I am just going to admit right here that I have no idea how this got into my playlist. (But I really dig it). I assumed it was a new release (and thus sorted into the featured Friday playlist) but have since found that it was released in 2001.  Anyway, it's a really groovy fun track and regardless of how I can to have it, I am glad. 

"The Darkness" by Mike June

Another appearance by the incredible Mike June from his wonderful album Poor Man's Bible.  I love the whole album, but this may be my favorite song of the album (until I decide another song it my favorite).  There is a lot of truth in the lyrics which chronicle all of the many ills of the world before offering this hope filled line:
I'm gonna dance without mercyLove without regretThe Darkness has got me but it ain't killed me yetI will fightI'll fight the Darkness

"Walk in My Shadow" by Dirty Basement Blues

Dirty Basement Blues are a blues/rock band from Michigan.  This is a track from their 2014 album Coming Clean.  It is great stuff.  As I have learned over the past few years, the blues are alive and well and thriving all over the world.  Ironically (or maybe not), I take great joy from that fact. 


"Be With Me" by Tim McNary


Our second listen to Above the Trees by Nashville songwriter Tim McNary was first featured on E2TG long before I met him through Jon Latham.  Above the Trees is powerful stuff. I ran into McNary while out and about this week.  Another coincidence that he jumps back into  the shuffle for the second time this week. 

VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment