Thursday, August 18, 2016

Throwback Thursday Morning Shuffle - Old Time Feeling Mix




Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


I need to report on last night's music.  Scott Miller at The 5 Spot was so far beyond amazing.  He was accompanied by Bryn Davies on upright bass.  Miller was a member of the Knoxville band, The V-Roys.  He (fairly) recently moved to Virginia to help tend to his parents and their cattle. His songs are moving and rocking and touching. His stage presence is humorous.  Bryn Davies is brilliant!

After that I walked over to The Basement East for the second in a series of Ryan Adams album tributes by some East Nashville artists.  It was a really entertaining show.  Once again, Jon Latham lead the band (which included Andrew Leheay, Rob Crowell (Deertick) and others) and introduced the guest (Allen Thompson, Peyton Parker, Sean Quinn, Carolina Story, Brian Ritchey, and many more).  Plus some cool folks did some non-album R.A. songs before the album part of the show including the always awesome Don Gallardo.  Thanks to a particular drummer friend for the ride back to my car.


Just before I headed to work this morning, I received word that a friend, who I have known for almost my entire life, had passed away.  This was heavy on my mind as I drove and walked to work and listened to the following songs... It is throwback Thursday.


"I'm Not The Man I Used To Be" + "Good Thing"  by Fine Young Cannibals

The shuffle started off with a pair of songs from the album The Raw and the Cooked.  I fairly recently found the CD at a thrift store, and it has been fun being reminded of some cool music from my past which I had not heard in several years. 

"Back in Black" by AC/DC

The obvious choice to follow Fine Young Cannibals would be AC/DC - obviously... Of course Back in Black was the band's 1980 album - and the first with vocalist Brian Johnson following the death of Bon Scott. Guitar riffs for days...

"All I Need Is The Girl" by Frank Sinatra with Duke Ellington

Continuing the logical flow, the shuffle moves from AC/DC to Sinatra and Ellington. This song creates such a strong visual image... so smooth, so stylish.. 

"Wild Billy's Circus Story" by  Bruce Springsteen

And moving on to the last song on Side A of Springsteen's second album, The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle - which was released a mere nine months after his first album Greetings from Ashbury Park, N.J.  There was a time in my life when I aspired to be Wild Billy... I even bought a coonskin cap, but it didn't do for me what it did for him... 

"These Are The Days" by Human Radio

Excited to hear that Human Radio are getting closer to releasing a new album. I could not find a date, but the album is going to be called Samsara.  This is one of my favorite tracks from their self-titled album from days gone by. 

"That Old Time Feeling" by Guy Clark

I have been hearing rave reviews from friends who attended Tuesday night's all-star tribute to Guy Clark at the Ryman, and I have been regretting not going. So, my shuffle decided to rub it in by closing today's shuffle with this recording taken from the soundtrack to Heartworn Highways.  Definitely fit my mood this morning... 


VIDEO PLAYLIST




No comments:

Post a Comment