Friday, December 23, 2016

Feliz Navidad Friday Morning Shuffle - Comfort and Joy Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Merry Christmas Eve Eve.  As I muddle through my last day of work for a few, and as the year winds down, I have been reflecting on all that I am grateful for in my life.  I know I may sound like a broken record, but E2TG has been one of my life's great blessings (behind my family and maybe one or two other things), and that is because of the incredible people I have been able to get to know because I decided to start writing this thing about five and half years ago.

Today for my first batch of Earie Awards, my thoughts turn toward people who are not specifically musicians that I have featured on E2TG but people who have been a integral part of this whole thing.

I am calling this one (just because I couldn't think of a better name) the "TYFBAFOE2TG" Award - which stands for "Thank you for being a friend of E2TG".

The award goes to Sue Havlish, Mary Sack, Karen Leipziger, Jill Kettles, Gina Frary Bacon, and Gina Sigillito.  Each of these people in their own ways have helped to make E2TG what is today, and I am very grateful for that. I think they each know what they have done, and I wanted to acknowledge them in these few lines. A ton of good things happened in 2016 (and some bad stuff, too) and I am looking forward to what 2017 has in store.  Good or bad (and there will be bad), I know we will get through it together.

Well, I started today with 39 songs left in my Christmas playlist and since this is the last shuffle before the man in the red suit shows up, I thought I would shuffle a few more.

I will see you next week with the last three shuffles of 2016 and the rest of the "Earie" awards including the Artist of the Year award.


"Adeste Fidelis" by Bruce Cockburn

We begin with another traditional carol from Bruce Cockburn's 1993 Christmas album.  Adeste Fidelis is also known as "O Come, All Ye Faithful" which dates to the 17th or 18th century and has been attributed to several different writers.  

"Take Me Home For Christmas" by Karen Mav

Karen Mav is a UK singer-songwriter who appeared on the UK version of the X-Factor. This was released as a single in 2015.

"O Come, O Come Emmanuel" by Milktooth

Milktooth are a Nashville based rock band. This stunning version of the classic carol - along with a powerful video were released last year. 

"Too Early for Christmas" by Tom House

Maybe I should have played this back in September when Christmas decorations first started appearing... but what a great song - from Nashville songwriter Tom House's latest album Songs Like Dreams...More Like Blood.

"God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" by Bruce Cockburn

One final track from Bruce Cockburn before we break for the holiday. This version of the classic reminds me of Fats Kaplin and Kristi Rose's version - called "Comfort and Joy" which they perfomred last night at The 5 Spot. It was a very special night of music with guest Paul Burch and Christmas and non-Christmas music. 

"Truckin' Trees for Christmas" by Red Simpson

Red Simpson was a country singer-songwriter who specialized in "trucker" themed songs - like this one.  He passed away back in January. 

"Rootin' Tootin' Santa Claus" by Pee Wee King

Pee Wee King co-wrote Tennessee Waltz (the original not the Dingzui version).  

"Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis" by Neko Case

How about Neko Case's version of the Tom Waits song.  Okay? Okay!

"Christmas in the Congo" by The Marquees

The Marquees were a doo-wop group from D.C. whose membership included Marvin Gaye and whose backing band including Bo Diddley and Billy Stewart.

"There's Trouble Brewing" by Jack Scott


Jack Scott was a Canadian-American singer-songwriter. He was inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2011. This was a 1963 holiday single.
"Christmas in Jail" by The Youngsters

And we close things out with a 1956 song by The Youngsters.  It was covered in the 90s by The Bobs. 



VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment