Friday, December 21, 2018

2018 E2TG Earie Awards - # 9 - Recap September 2018



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!




HOLIDAY SHOPPING ALERT!!!!: The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)


Today is the last scheduled E2TG Shuffle until after the New Year, however, since we are running to days behind, there are two more shuffles plus some miscellaneous posts which will come during the time I am off work.

Today, we are up to September 2018.  We have more Earies to hand out, plus some previous 2018 Earie winners returning...


"Cold Black Line" by Ashleigh Flynn and the Riveters

E2TG favorite Ashleigh Flynn returned to the shuffle with a new album and a new project - dedicated and referencing some great women of history.  Rosie the Riveter was a  well-known figure during World War II - representing many real women who led the wartime homefront war effort. I am giving Ashleigh Flynn and the Riveters the "Riveting Music" Award.  (Sorry not sorry for the bad pun).

"Cutter Blues" by Justin and the Cosmics

Suffice it to say, the shuffle loves PERF by Justin and the Cosmics as much as I do.  After winning an "Earie" on the last Music City Monday of the year, and showing up yesterday as well, Justin Collins and his band are back for the third time during Earie season.  PERF was recorded at Ardent Studios in Memphis.

"I'd Rather Be Surprised" by Martha Reich

Brave Bird is the most recent album by New Mexico singer-songwriter Martha Reich.  It is also a lovely record and one of my favorites of the year.  Reich is another (of many) artists that I was introduced to this year. The joy of discovering new-to-me music is one thing that really keeps me going.  Many of my current favorites are only on my radar due to my writing E2TG.  So, I decided to give Martha Reich the "Motivation" Award for helping me stay motivated to do this every day.

"New York" by A Shoreline Dream

Speaking of "new-to-me" music - although A Shoreline Dream - the alternative band from Denver, Colorado - have been around for over a decade, their release Waitout was my first exposure, and I am a fan. As I have mentioned, the watchword for E2TG in 2018 has been diversity. We had several bands that fall into the post-punk, shoegaze sound - but every (like some other) A Shoreline Dream have their unique take on that sound. I am giving them the "Coastal Vision" Award. From the misty coast of Denver. 

"Playboy" (Live) by Buck n Stuff

Buck N Stuff have already won an Earie.  And I joke around about this awesome band quite a bit, but in all seriousness - the three members of Buck N Stuff are three of the hardest working musicians I know. As I have mentioned, they are all in-demand sidemen - who have spent much of the year on the road with various groups. One of the bands credos is if the three members of Buck N Stuff are ever in the same room, a Buck N Stuff show will breakout.  Unfortunately, in 2018, this didn't happen much at all. As a result, they were able to support their awesome album as much as other bands. So, do yourself a favor, and buy a copy (or two or three - they make great presents) of Saviors of County Music: Live from the American Legion Post 82.  #AndaBuckNStufftoYouAsWell.

"I Feel Off" by Good Field

As someone from Nashville - who understands that the diversity of music in our town - belies the conventional ideas of what "Nashville Music" sounds like, I have no excuse for falling into the same faulty thinking about Austin, Texas. So, yes, when I heard Good Field's Surface Tension album and then read that they were from Austin, I was surprised (I own my own silly thinking).  Anyway, the band has a wonderful sound - very original, very modern, very not roots, and yes they are from Austin (which is just a diverse musical city as Nashville).  So, in honor of my narrow mind, I am giving Good Field the "Yes, Austin!" Earie Award.

"Kiss" by Hilary Scott

I am so far out of touch with mainstream country/pop music that I didn't even though that their was another Hillary Scott (two l's) until I started search YouTube for videos. Anyway, Hilary Scott (with one 'l') made one of my favorite albums of the year, Don't Call Me Angel. She has been making music since the beginning of the century. I am giving her the "Before Before the War" Earie Award.  And yes, this is a great cover of the Prince song.

"Rustbelt" by Voice of Addiction

Voice of Addiction previously were awarded an Earie award. The Chicago punk band had a great year supporting their album The Lost Art of Empathy and starring in a feature length film, Punk Band. 

"I've Got the Bottle" by The Mutineers

E2TG bands came from all over the world and every corner of the U.S. They play almost every variety of music you can imagine. And the list of bands featured on E2TG is constantly growing.  The Mutineers a rocking roots band from the Pacific Northwest were a great "discovery" for me in 2018. Their release Threshold is a great rock record - a little bit country and a little bit punk.  I am going to award The Mutineers the "Bountiful" Award (Mutiny on the Bounty - get it... yeah, I'm tired. Anyway, great album. 

"Are Friends Electric"by rOZZ

Every month, I sit down with the programming committee of E2TG and we discuss what E2TG is missing in our line-up of music. Earlier this year, I was surprised to discover that we had never featured an amateur astronomer in a shuffle. We also found that Belgium was underrepresented, and we had yet to feature a forum moderator for Seti@home (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence).  (We don't have a programming committee, the diversity of E2TG happens naturally thanks to all the great folks who send me music).  But, it turns out rOZZ meets all of those criteria. Her album Crunching for the C is like a dark horse - on a blog that specializes in dark horses. Intelligent lyrics, great music, great vocals.  So, I'm giving rOZZ the "The Truth is Out There" Award for 2018. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST




No comments:

Post a Comment