Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - Keeping Up Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


  *Note: The video playlist at the bottom of the post attempts to closely approximate the shuffle I listened to on my way to work this morning. When a video for a song was not available, I substituted another song by the same artist. When I could not find any videos by an artist, I included a related video or did not include a video for that track. This blog may reference unreleased tracks, however, no unreleased music is ever included.


The first official day of the Americana Fest is in the books. As has become my habit, I went to the Basement East for the Better Together kickoff event. It was packed and I saw so many friends from out of town and in town. The music - as always - was top-notched - this year honoring the City of Memphis - with songs from Memphis, associated with Memphis, and about Memphis. The list of performers included some of the hottest tickets on the AMA line-up and many of my friends.

Sleep is optional during AMA week, but I got a couple of hours. 

Tonight, Broken Jukebox Media is hosting an unofficial showcase at The 5 Spot - the night includes several artists we have featured at E2TG (Broken Jukebox is one of my major sources of new music).  After that, I will head to Dee's for another unofficial event - this hosted by Nick Nace and featuring a full-band set from the one and only Jon Latham and a lot more.

On with the shuffle - It is Wild Wednesday, but once again, I am sticking with our New Music playlist because I have so much new music to get to... It's still kind of wild!





"Wildflowers in the Weeds" by Susan Gibson

Speaking of Broken Jukebox... Susan Gibson won't be at The 5 Spot tonight, but the shuffle sure has been loving her forthcoming new album, The Hard Stuff (due out in October). Well, shuffle... I concur. The more I dig into this album, the more I am digging it. Great songwriting and a well-produced album.  Check it out when it hits the streets (i.e. usual outlets).

"Doing the Best I Can" by Steve Conn

Steve Conn's album Flesh and Bone has been out for a while, but we still have a few tracks to feature from this wonderful album.  Steve recently appeared at Nashville's City Winery alongside his long-time collaborator Sonny Landreth last week. I was unfortunately not able to attend, but by all accounts it was a wonderful evening. 

"Ashes" by Ring Ring Rouge

Next up, we have another track from the recent album, Talking in Installments by UK indie band Ring Ring Rouge. Cool stuff. 

"Promised Land" by Ward Hayden and the Outliers

Next up, we have our first listen to Can't Judge a Book by Boston based roots rock band Ward Hayden and the Outliers (formerly known as Girls, Guns, and Glory).  Our first track to feature is a cover of the Chuck Berry classic. It founds fantastic, and I can't wait to hear/write about the rest of the album.

"Keeping Up With The Kid" by Heavydrunk

 Next, we have another first listen to Holywater - the forthcoming national debut album for the 9-piece band Heavydrunk.  The band is led by Rob Robinson - a musician and restaurateur who owns the venerable Puckett's in Leiper's Fork, Tennessee.  This is a great sounding record - expect to hear more. 

"Mississippi" by Mark Cline Bates

One more from King of the Crows - one of my favorite albums of the year. 

"Raw Ride" by Andy Statman

A great instrumental from Andy Statman's tribute to the late Bill Monroe.

"Black Rainbow" by Crooked Ghost

Next up, we have a first listen to Colors Bleed from dream pop band Crooked Ghost from Asheville, North Carolina. 

"8 x 10" by Susan Gibson

Another track from The Hard Stuff!

"Without You" by Katrina Parker
"Strange World" by Katrina Parker

A two-fer from Star by Katrina Parker - the shuffle has been hitting this great album pretty hard, and I'm digging it. 

"Everybody Here's Golden" by Dizraeli

We close with one of the most unique albums of 2019 - The Unmaster by UK hip-hop/ spoken word artist Dizraeli.


VIDEO PLAYLIST




No comments:

Post a Comment