Friday, September 27, 2019

E2TG - 8th Anniversary Residency - Week 2



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

  *Note: The video playlist at the bottom of the post attempts to closely approximate the shuffle I listened to on my way to work this morning. When a video for a song was not available, I substituted another song by the same artist. When I could not find any videos by an artist, I included a related video or did not include a video for that track. This blog may reference unreleased tracks, however, no unreleased music is even included.


The E2TG 8th Anniversary is underway - Next Show October 2!

September 25 - Week 1: Ben Arthur + Conrad y Skordalia (SUCCESS!)

October 2 - Week 2: Ryan Sobb + Don Gallardo 

October 9 - Week 3: The Truehearts + Jason Erie

October 16 - Week 4:  Josh Gray  + Meghan Hayes

October 23 - Week 5: Microwave Mountain + The Big Dumb





Today we spotlight on Week 2 of the E2TG 8th Anniversary Residency!

By  the way, no shuffle today because my phone died.







This is one I would not miss even if I wasn't hosting it!  Okay, so that is true for all the shows I book. Why would I book a show I didn't want to see?  But, let's just say I am particularly excited about this week's show. 

To kick off the night, a rare early show, full-band appearance by Ryan Sobb and we wrap up the night with Don Gallardo and How Far West who will are celebrating the release of their brand new album, In the Name of Good Intentions.  The album features very special guest star Lilly Winwood. AND Lilly Winwood will be joining Don and his band on October 2!


RYAN SOBB

As you know, I hope, I am huge fan of all kinds of music. Music is my thing even though I don't play it, and there are tons of talented people making outstanding music these days. But, it is a rare thing for someone to completely blow me away the first time I hear them and an even rarer thing for them to continuously up their game.  Ryan Sobb is one of those rare individuals.  The first time I saw him was an early show at The 5 Spot - playing with Darrin Bradbury.  I was sitting at the bar talking to my radio partner Sue when Ryan begin. Shortly after he started, we turned to each other and mouthed, "He's fantastic".

This initial assessment was affirmed the next few times I saw him. Then came my first time playing with a full band. It was a trio, Ryan with bass player Preston Cochran and drummer Chase Ballenger.  The additional musicians added something magical and they were reckless and loud and it was amazing.  Since then, every time I have seen them play, they have gotten better and tighter without losing the energy - like the energy is more contained but still just as potent.  I cannot wait to see them again and for some of my friends who prefer early shows to see them as well.

HERE is a LINK to Ryan's latest release on Spotify!



DON GALLARDO AND HOW FAR WEST 

Don Gallardo is what they call a staple of the East Nashville music community.  He was here before I arrived on the scene. The thing about East Nashville is that you don't become a neigherhood staple without possessing something extraordinary.  The thing I have learned is that have the opportunity to see someone like Don Gallardo on a semi-regular basis is easy to take for granted but it is an amazing luxury that I try to fully appreciate.  What I am trying to say is that if you get the chance to see Don Gallardo in any setting or alignment I highly recommend that you take it.  With that being said, this Wednesday's show is going to be next level good.

In Nashville most songwriters who lead bands often have to have backup plans. Musicians in this town are busy. That being said, Nashville is so deep with incredible musicians that even when you are seeing the third person approached to sit in for a show, the musician you are seeing would be the first choice in any other case.  Which is what makes How Far West even more amazing, the core of the band has been playing with Don for years and they sound so good together. Also, the word on the street is that Don might just have one of the members of Buck N Stuff in the lineup.   And did I mention the amazing Lilly Winwood. 

Don Gallardo's songs are the real stars.  He writes songs that sound like you have always known them, and they have been featured in television shows and films. 

HERE is the LINK to the landing page to buy AND save/stream In the Name of Good Intentions. 



So., come out Wednesday. Doors open at 5:30 and the music will begin right around 6:15. There is a $5 Cover and all shows at The 5 Spot are 21+ (and you will need a valid ID no matter your age. We will wrap up no later than 8:30.  Be there or else!


Check out a couple of videos of our Week 2 performers. Below.  Hopefully, I will be back next week with a new shuffle and a new phone.


VIDEO PLAYLIST
















No comments:

Post a Comment