Monday, November 28, 2011

Bands of the Week 2011 - A Recap - Part 3 - Weeks 18-27

 This is it.  The final recap after reading this entry and the previous 2 recaps you will be a well informed voter, which means you will need to vote for your favorite band at the Reader's Poll.

Weel 18: The Hunting Accident - are a Los Angeles based indie rock band made up of former members of the bands Arlo and Piebald. Here's a video for a song we love called Hot Drum:


Week 19: Ben Semmens - is a Welsh singer-songwriter - He writes deeply, beautiful songs.  Recently, his fans help fund the recording of a new album.  Ben spent several weeks recording in the US (on a island off the coast of Georgia) where at same point he may or may not have swam naked in the Atlantic. Here he is performing Wake Me Up:


Week 20: The Fauns - are an indie, pop, shoegaze band from Bristol UK. I'll be honest, if pressed, I couldn't tell you what shoegaze means. I just know I like The Fauns. I guess introspective yet powerful would be my best attempt.  Here's a video for a song called Lovestruck:


Week 21: Two Seasons - are a Toronto based Americana, Pop, Folk band. They made an EP called Made in Basements.  They play catchy and rich songs. I couldn't find a video so here's a Soundcloud track we love called I Wouldn't Ask (For Anything to Change):

I Wouldn't Ask (For Anything To Change) by Two Seasons Music

Week 22: Themselves - are a rock band from Leicester UK. I promised myself I would not make an Adrian Mole reference as I'm sure that is getting irritating.  Damn.... Themselves are a rhythmic intensity and they know how to rock.  Here's a live video for your perusal:



Week 23: The Nearly Deads - are a Nashville based Alternative Rock band. They play high energy rock and have a powerful female lead singer. They are doing a free show this Friday at a new club in Nashville called The National Underground - so if you're around Nashville check them out. Meanwhile check out this:


Week 24: Taco Land - is a Texas based band - the brain child of Joseph Russell. Taco Land is everything you would expect of a Texas-based band called Taco Land and nothing at all you would expect from a Texas-based band called Taco Land.  They have a new album called Heart of Texas.  I couldn't find a video - so here is a Soundcloud track - it's the title track from Heart of Texas:
Heart of Texas by Taco Land

Week 25: Brother Howe - is a country punk band from Michigan.  They know their country and they know their punk.  Brother Howe speak truth and cover Johnny Cash.  Check out this video for the standout track Heaven is my Retirement Plan:


Week 26: Those Mockingbirds - are a New Jersey based Alternative Rock/Grunge band.  The band features some unique sounds for a grunge band, and they write really great songs. Here a video for a track we love called Coast to Coast:


Week 27: Don Ryan -is a New York/New Jersey based singer-songwriter.  Think Tom Waits meets something else really cool.  I think I've raved enough about Don Ryan - naw! He's really good.  Check out this video for the amazing song, This Town:

No comments:

Post a Comment