Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - Never Chew a Pickle Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


ICYMI - check out the exclusive premiere of Mark Robinson's "Gone South (Electric Rock)" Video.

It is a rainy day in Nashville... You know what I like on a rainy day?  Music!


"Memphis Bound" by Richie Owens and the Farm Bureau

Richie Owens was an important part of the 1980s Nashville music scene that I became interested in during my musical formative years.  Back in those days, he lead a band called The Movement.  That band's song, "Lost Horizon" seemed to be in my ears or stuck in my head almost constantly during that time period. When the once promising Nashville Music Scene of the mid to late 80s  crashed and burned - overcome by poor decisions and excesses of various kinds - Owens left for the West Coast. Thankfully, he came back and his current band, Richie Owens and the Farm Bureau are making awesome music and putting on great shows. You can catch them most Tuesday's at Drifters in East Nashville.  The band's most recent album, Tennessee, is filled with songs based upon stories that Richie Owens heard growing up or in the case of the song we are featuring today - the song was inspired by a invitation and trip to play a Blues Festival in Memphis.  The video is awesome!

"Come On" by Hoodoo Gurus

From Blow Your Cool!  "Well come on!"

"Rattle That Lock" by David Gilmour

Rattle That Lock is the title track of the brand new album by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd fame. It is his fourth solo and his first studio solo album since 2006's On An Island.  Expect a US tour next Spring.

"Slap and Tickle" by Squeeze

A funky fun track from Cool for Cats.  Seriously, I know they were very British in some respects, but I really don't understand how Squeeze were never completely massive here in the U.S.  Suffice it to say, they were very massive in my circle of friends.  I am thrilled that I got to see them in 1985 on their "reunion tour".

"Old Rugged Cross" by Carl Rutherford

What kind of psychopath follows up "Slap and Tickle" with "Old Rugged Cross"? Seems like another great time to point out, again, that the shuffle function on my phone orders the songs - I am just the messenger.   That being said, it has great having so many tracks for the Music Maker Relief Foundation come up in the shuffles of late. This is a devastating take on the Inspirational classic from the late Carl Rutherford. 

"Plaster Shoes" by Atticus Floyd

Plaster Shoes is the single release from Atticus' 7 song release, We'll All Come Down. Atticus just released a new song, "Walking into Murals".    The video is a repeat, but it is one I love - an animated retelling of Atticus Floyd's first show.

"Don't Look That Way" by Shelly Poole

This is a song from British singer/songwriter Shelly Poole's 2006 debut album, Hard Time for the Dreamer.  I'm honestly not sure where I got this song, but I really dig it.  It's my first listen to Shelly Poole.

"Peace and Happiness" by Evan Felker

Another track from the Ted Hawkins tribute album, Cold and Bitter Tears. Evan Felker is best known as a member of the Oklahoma Red Dirt band Turnpike Troubadours.

"East vs. West" by Units

Another from the 13 O'clock compilation by PPNW Records.  Units were an electronic band from San Francisco, active in the late 1970s to early 1980s.  East V. West is from 1979 and it is a sturdy electronic rock instrumental.  This compilation has introduced me to a several bands that I missed out on the first time around.

"Trumpets" by The Waterboys

One of my favorite tracks from This is the Sea.  "Your Love Feels, Like Trumpets Sound".

"Leave a Trail" by Dan Martin

And we close out the day with another track from Dan Martin's album Hoka Hey.  A great way to close out another wildly diverse shuffle of music.  


VIDEO PLAYLIST




             

No comments:

Post a Comment