Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - Dark Empty Places Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Back after a day off... Feeling a bit overwhelmed by a lot of things... let's listen to music!


"Blinkin' Thinkin'" by Bud Sugar

Bud Sugar are from Hull. Which as a "dumb American" I know only from the Housemartin's album London 0, Hull 4 (hey at least I'm a dumb American with good taste in British music).   Anyway,  Bud Sugar seem like a really interest band, and I really dig this song - which is their latest single. The music has elements of ska with some rapped and some sang lyrics.  It sounds the band is not afraid to use some guerilla style marketing to get their music to the masses.  Fortunately, from what I have heard so far, the music is worthy of being heard.  Check them out!

"Love Sick" by Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan's 1997 album Time out of Mind was his 30th studio release and is widely considered a comeback of sorts.  But seriously, people could and probably have written books upon books which differing viewpoints on Dylan's career arcs. I know people who could discuss this for hours without breaking a sweat.  This is just a blog post about an 18 year old song that was later used by Victoria Secret commercial and was the song being performed at the 1998 Grammy Awards when the infamous Soy Bomb incident occurred.  By the way, it's a great song.

"Like a Vague Memory" by Marshall Crenshaw

I have already written about the personal importance of Crenshaw's Downtown album, and in fact, I just mentioned it again in a Facebook comment thread.  Beyond the greatness of the music and the album, this album and all of the songs on it - have an ability to incite very real, almost tactile memories in me.

"Endlessly" by Guster

This is the second song on Boston band Guster's most recent album Evermotion.  It came to my playlist via a Noisetrade compilation.  

"Gold" by Carolina Story

I fell for Carolina Story's music when I first heard it.  They are East Nashville residents by way of Memphis by way of Arkansas and North Dakota. They are a married couple, but their music evokes blue collar men and women, and their original sound gains inspiration from Hank Williams Sr. and Heartbreaker-era Ryan Adams. Noisetrade released their first two EPs as one download. This song is on the EP called Chapter one.

"Louisiana Hannah" by Webb Wilder

A week ago tonight, I saw Webb and his band The Beatnecks at Music City Roots. Most of their set was dedicated to songs from Webb's latest album, Mississippi Moderne. The new songs were awesome and all indications are the album may well be Webb's best in many years. I have not added the new album to my playlist, so we are digging deep into his album Hybrid Vigor which was released back in 1989.

"The Wanting" by The Danbury Lie

The Danbury Lie are in the top tier of E2TG all-time favorites. Part of the ever expanding Connecticut faction of Ear to the Ground favorites (currently roaming the country and possibly in the Pacific Northwest at the moment).  The Wanting comes from Choose Your Delusion which was released back in March.  The urgent Metal-inspired music matches the intense yearning of the lyrics.

"Easy Company" by Ohioan

Ohioan are from the Sonoran Desert.  They are working on a new album called Empty Every MT.  This song is the b-side to the first single from that album.  My first exposure to this band, and I am liking what I'm hearing. Intensely Rustic and Real and True music (my descriptions).  Check them out!


VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment