Monday, September 18, 2017

Music City Monday Morning Shuffle - Unconventional Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Well.... Americana Fest 2017 is in the books... I feel kind of overwhelmed about what to write about the last two days (for me) of the conference. I think I got some sort of post-AMA drip thing going- runny nose and scratchy throat.... but I'm carrying on...

Look for some more detailed analysis forthcoming...  overall, I have to say, although I am probably not the best person to explain what Americana music is... as evidenced my attempts this past week to explain it to people... what I can say without any hesitation is that any festival that can find a place for as diverse a set of artists I saw (and missed) last week is okay in my book.  From Robyn Hitchcock to the Blackfoot Gypsies, from Dave Alvin to Brian Wright, from North Mississippi All-Stars to Darrin Bradbury... etc. etc. etc.

The other thing I want to say today is that I am super proud about the performances of the three E2TG Artists of the Year who played AMA Fest.  

2014 Artist of the Year Darrin Bradbury:  From his raucous single-song performance on Tuesday night - which ended with him leaping off the stage and disappearing into the crowd to his utterly charming and arresting performance at his official showcase Saturday night at The Anchor. The Saturday night show was probably among the five or six best Darrin Bradbury shows I have ever seen. (And I've seen a bunch).  Playing to a crowd - many of whom were there to see the nights final act - The Secret Sisters (who were phenomenal by the way) - Darrin pulled a good mix of his classics with some brand new songs and he utterly won over the crowd - as he has the amazing ability to do.

2015 Artist of the Year Jon Latham: For someone who did not have an official showcase (a glaring oversight in my opinion) - Latham managed to stay extremely busy all week.  He, too, was awesome on Tuesday night. Unfortunately, I missed a couple of his other performances during the week, but his closing set at the Cafe Rooster party on Saturday at Little Harpeth was among my favorite moments of the festival. Backed by his killer band, Jon commanded the stage in a way that he does better than most.  He took us, the audience, on an emotional ride.  His introduction to "Lifers" - the title track from his latest album - which he dedicated to the late Ben Eyestone, Jessi Zazu, and Chris Porter literally drove me to tears.

2016 Artist of the Year Brian Wright: Along with Aaron Lee Tasjan - Wright was one of busiest performers at the festival.  I saw him three times - all were spectacular, but his Friday night official showcase was nothing short of brilliant.  Wright is one of the few artists who can be equally captivating solo acoustic as he is playing full-on rock and roll with his amazing band.  He flat out gives his all to every performance and I for one cannot look away when he is playing.


So much more to write about but not enough time...

In case you missed it, please check out the latest Guest blog post from Collins de la Cour.  It is her review of Gaelynn Lea's utterly captivating performance at the American Legion on Friday night.  Check it out HERE.

Meanwhile, it Monday and we have another Music City Monday shuffle of songs somehow connected to the city of music...


"Feel No Pain" by Jake La Botz

We start with the first of two songs from Sunnyside, the awesome recent album by singer-songwriter and actor Jake La Botz.  I am really digging his songs, voice, and music.  

"A Room With You" by Shadow 15

Last week began with some tripping down memory lane thinking about Nashville in the 1980s, and Shadow 15 came up in that conversation.  Talking to Robert Logue of the seminal Nashville bands Royal Court of China and The Shakers, he mentioned that Shadow 15 were the cool kids of the scene.  I have so glad to rediscover and dig deeper in their music in recent months.  There music holds up every well.

"Unconventional" by Jon Worthy

Next up, we have the title track from the debut album by singer-songwriter Jon Worthy.  I remember getting this album after seeing him opening up a show at Springwater  year or so ago (maybe longer). His follow up album May You Live Happily Ever After was awesome, and he is already working on the next one - Only a Dream which I cannot wait to hear. 

"The Hotel (Fix Me Now)" by Jake La Botz

Song number two from Jake La Botz and Sunnyside. 

"Banks of the Mississippi" by Don Gallardo and How Far West

Next up, another track from Don Gallardo and How Far West from their Live at Nashville Sunday Night release. With Don Gallardo I find myself constantly saying, this is one of my favorite songs because I love all of his songs so much. This is a great one- a murder ballad. 

"Song of the South" by Earl Scruggs and Tom T. Hall

Next up, we have a track from Storyteller and the Banjo Man which came out in 1982. It features a pair of Nashville legends - Earl Scruggs and songwriter Tom T. Hall. 

"Missing Finger" by Carol and Dale

Next - an instrumental track from Be Here Now.  Carol and Dale have been a really wonderful addition to my musical vocabulary. It is just really beautiful music and solid songs.  

"Baby Let Me Love You" by Tom House


And, we close out this Monday shuffle with one of my favorite songwriters - the inimitable Tom House. This is our final track to feature from his album Songs Like Dreams... More Like Blood. Which I think is his latest.  The album features a cover shot by Brock Zeman.  The video I found is for another Tom House song with Baby in the title and features guitar work by Zeman's accompanist Blair Hogan.   I am happy I got to see Brock and Blair over the weekend, but I'm really sorry I missed their performances.  Next time, I promise.  


No comments:

Post a Comment