Thursday, September 7, 2017

Topical Thursday Morning Shuffle - Best Get Over It Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Thinking about the human beings who are or who possibly will be affected by Hurricane Irma and those still reeling from Harvey.  Thinking of those whose lives are in turmoil because of political gamesmanship and inhuman policies. Thinking of those suffering loss of any kind. Thinking how my problems can seem insurmountable until I can step back and keep things in perspective.

Thinking and figuring out actions to take to go with those thoughts.

It's Thursday and today's shuffle literally covers the entire history of E2TG from Artists I wrote about in the  earliest days of the blog in 2011 to those I just learned about recently.  Enjoy!


"Watch Me" by Nina Massara

One of the artists I learned about just this year... Nina Massara is a young singer-songwriter originally from Copenhagen who recently relocated and is now based in Nashville. Bluesy music that I dig. This is the title track from her album which was released earlier this year. 

"All My Nightmares" by Maxim Ludwig

Maxim Ludwig is a California singer-songwriter.  He and his old band the Santa Fe Seven were the very first "Band of the Week" at E2TG in the very early days.  Since disbanding the Santa Fe Seven, he released a record under the name Drive He Said, but he now releases music under his own name. This is the a-side from a 2015 single. 

"Never Let You Down" by Inner City Elegance

Inner City Elegance were "Band of the Week" in the 8th week of having bands of the week. They ended up in 4th place in the Year End Readers poll for Band of the Year 2011.  They were based out of Calgary and had fun, high-energy rock and roll. The broke up the following year. I had kept up with a few of the members, but I have lost track in recent years. If any of you read this... well, say "hey" if you want to. 

"Sw33t Sixt33n" by And the Echo

If I had been asked, I have to admit that I would not have expected to find a really awesome synth-pop band in Oxford, Mississippi. That says more about me than anything else. After having visited Oxford late last year, I can say that nothing would surprise about that awesome town. This is from the self-titled release of the duo, but they have some newer music that I need to check out.  

"The Instrumental Track" by The Joy of Painting

Back in 2012, I used to joke that I was the Nashville-based music blog that rarely wrote about music from Nashville. (Things sure have changed) The Joy of Painting was one of the exceptions to that. The Joy of Painting was "Band of the Week" in May 2012.  They broke up in 2014 and reunited for a one-off show in 2015.  This is a track from their album Asterisk.  I could not find this song on You Tube, so I substituted another. "The Instrumental Track" was not an instrumental but rather a song with lyrics about instrumental tracks. 

"Illustrious Youth" by NewClue

NewClue are a Connecticut band that came my way in 2016. Originally formed as NoClue in the late 1980s. That band broke up after six years, and reformed as NewClue following some near tragic and inspiring circumstances. It was good to be reminded of this music. 

"Sharkjaw Beartrap (Megan)" by No Shoes

No Shoes are a band based out of New York City that came to me via Mama Coco's Funky Kitchen. This track goes back to 2011 and the band's first EP, but they have several newer releases. I really need to catch up with them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment