Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - Honk if You Feel Fine Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

First off, I join the rest of the Nashville music community in mourning the loss and celebrating the life and spirit of Jessi Zazu of Those Darlins. I am a fan of that band and have written about them on E2TG.  I never got to meet Jessi, but I have been reading about her courageous battle with cancer.  I send my love out to all those who knew and loved her.

*
*
*

Second, I guess Americana Week is officially kicked off.  One again, Lil Deb and Shilah threw one hell of kick off party.  Whiskey Wolves of the West opened, Chuck Mead and his friends once again blurred the lines of Americana with his set that included covers of The Jam's "In the City", Ian Drury's "Sex and Drugs and Rock n Roll", and even Paul Anka's "(You're) Having My Baby" with Sarah Gayle Meech.

Cafe Rooster Records hosted the third segment and they tend to do, they ruled. It was great to see not one, not two, but three E2TG Artists of the Year rocking the packed house.  It was also great to see hear (on a night of many covers), many in the crowd singing along to Jon Latham and Darrin Bradbury original songs. Ladies Gun Club made a rare appearance (that I really hope will be less rare in the months to come), and guests Lilly Hiatt and Aaron Lee Tasjan were awesome.  (Aaron Lee is up for an AMA award - Best Emerging Artist - tonight!)

The Mavericks closed the night and were nothing short of spectacular with many guests and surprise covers.

Beyond all that, it great to see some many people - some I haven't had the chance to see a some a while.   I'm pretty tired today, and there are still five days to go!


By the way, ICYMI, please check out yesterday's guest blog post by Collin de la Cour  (the first ever E2TG guest post!)



It's Wednesday, and we get wild - with a shuffle of ALL THE SONGS on my phone.....

Let's do this!



"Exit Music (Gonna Be Okay)" by Lazarus

We begin (as only a shuffle can do) with some "Exit Music"  and the reprise of "Gonna Be Okay" from Rock n Roll Heart by Austin, Texas based singer-songwriter Lazarus.


"Golden Days" by Year of October

Next up, we have a live version (from WDVX's Blue Plate Special) of the title track from the 2014 album by long-time E2TG faves Year of October.  Year of October have a new album coming about in October called Trouble Comes which you can pre-order now at their bandcamp site.

"All That I'll Ever Need" by Nina Massara

Next up, we have another great track from Watch Me by relative new Nashville resident Nina Massara. 

"Sky is Falling" by Carol and Dale

And another from Be Here Now, by the always awesome Carol and Dale.  I played an instrumental from this album on Double Shot last Saturday.

"Blue Yodel, No. 2 (My Loving Gal, Lucille)" by Lefty Frizzell

Moving on, we have the one and only Lefty Frizzell doing a Jimmie Rodgers song. It is from his debut album - Songs of Jimmie Rodgers. 

"Locked-In" by fIREHOSE

In typical Wild Wednesday fashion, we segue from Lefty Frizzell to fIREHOSE with a song from their debut album Ragin' Full On.  

"Dig a Ditch" by Jonathan Warren and The BillyGoats

Next up with a track from the debut album by Idaho Progressive Psychobilly Folk Grass band Jonathan Warren and the BillyGoats.  I can't exactly remember how I first heard about them, but I wrote about them a few years back. The album was released in 2010.  

"Honk If You Feel Fine" by The Foresters

Next up, E2TG faves, The Foresters with a song that was released as a single a little while back, and which was included on their recent House Stories album.  Have I mentioned how much I love The Foresters (and all their associated bands and projects and family and friends). I think maybe I have, but I'll mention it again. 

"Hello, Illusion" by J. Marco

We close this mid-AMA week shuffle with some genuine original Nashville rock n roll from J. Marco.  He has a new album, Days of Surrender coming out soon (look for an October release show at The High Watt). This is a track from his last album, Myth.  It is refreshing to hear a singer-songwriter from Nashville who rocks without a hint of Americana about him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment