Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle - Opening Credits Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Whew! Americana Fest week is (kind of) underway.  Last night was like a pre-pre AMA Fest night. And what a night, it started for me at Betty's Grill to check out Jon Byrd and the awesome pedal steel player Paul Niehaus who played a fun mix of traditional country songs and original tunes (included a couple of Davis Raines songs).  Betty's is a great DIY venue which works very hard at providing a space for a wide variety of great music.

Next, it was off to The Family Wash for Homemade Sin (less Dan Baird - who is undergoing treatment for a form of leukemia).  I have been looking forward to this show since I heard about it, and my expectations were pretty high... and they were wildly exceeded in every respect. First of all, it was yet another reminder of the incredible community that exists around music. Time and again, when I musician goes down to illness or injury or other hardship, it is heartening to see the community rally in support. It belies the common (and IMHO false) narrative of musicians being selfish or self-centered.

There were so many aspects to last nights show that were meaningful to me that I am having a hard time putting them down (at least in time I have to write this).  First off all, it was all just really, really great rock and roll music. Call it roots or Americana or whatever, it was just rock and roll and it was damn good!

Homemade Sin features Warner Hodges (Jason and the Scorchers), Mauro Magellan (Georgia Satellites), and a brand new bass player Sean Savacool.  Joe Blanton is filling in for Dan Baird.

Seeing Warner and Joe on stage together was pretty awesome.  I have been a fan of both of their music for over 30 years.  Warner from the Scorchers and Joe Blanton from The Enemy and Royal Court of China.

Speaking of The Scorchers.  With Dan out, the band have added a few Scorchers songs to their set and last night Jason Ringenberg himself was on hand to sing a few.  When they ripped into the classic Scorchers version of Dylan's "Absolutely Sweet Marie" the usually sedate dinner crowd at The Family Wash exploded and everyone sang along. It was thirty-two years ago this month when I first say The Scorchers live.  Jason still bounces around the stage like a whirling dervish and Warner still slings his guitar effortlessly and deftly.   Other special guests included Elizabeth Cook, Chuck Mead, and Aaron Lee Tasjan (with Jon Latham).

I was happy to get to hang a little with Robert Logue (Royal Court of China, The Shakers) and Chuck Allen (The East Nashvillian) and hear and share stories from back in the day.

One last thing (and this is kind of a hard story to explain so bear with me):  Dan Baird's old band The Georgia Satellites were a big part of the Nashville music scene in the 1980s when I was coming of age. The Satellites are probably best known for their huge hit "Keep Your Hands to Yourself". When I was nineteen years old, I started keeping a journal (I kind of think I was blogging but there wasn't any way to post it back then). The journal was mostly mundane details of my life, stray bits of random writing (fiction etc.), and song lyrics. From the time, I first heard "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" on WRVU (the Vanderbilt student radio station and predecessor to WXNA), I must have included lyrics to that song in my journal dozens of times.  And I watched in amazement as it grew from this local thing to a #2 song on the pop charts.  It was a pretty cool and pretty rare thing since most of the music I listened to was pretty non-mainstream.  So, there was a strange and wonderful feeling when the band launched into that song I got to sing along with Jon Latham and Aaron Lee Tasjan.  And then when Joe Blanton turned his guitar over to Aaron Lee Tasjan... I was just floored. Music for me is ALL about connections and there were so many connections made last night. It was a perfect way to begin a very busy week that promises many great moments.


As I mentioned yesterday, E2TG is going to break some new ground for us this week, as we welcome our first guest blogger - Collins de la Cour who will be covering some select Americana Fest shows for us. Her introductory post is coming later today, and I am blown away by how good it is, and I think you will be, too.

It is Tuesday, and this is the day that we shuffle up songs from the "New Music" which is mostly (fairly) recent music that we have had the chance to feature here.  We have a pretty cool mix today so let's not dally any more....


"Cop Force Opening Credits" by The Electric Grandmother

From the album Cancelled. I dig the originality of this D.C. based band that specializes in what they call Sitcom Core.  Their latest album is about a man whose favorite police drama is cancelled (it's actually about lot more than that).  This track is the opening credit theme to that show - Cop Force.  

"The Promise" by Strange Majik

Long-time E2TG favorite Strange Majik is back with a track from his latest EP (a companion to his Soul Crisis EP) Deep in the Shadows. Strange Majik's  recent music effectively blends some of the best aspects of classic rock and roll, soul, blues, etc. with an unrestrained exploration of the trouble times we live in.

"Maryland" by The Rosellys

Next up, we have another track from The Granary Sessions by this UK band that I was introduced to by Don Gallardo during last year's Americana Fest. 

"Waters Blue" by Boris Garcia

This our first listen to the latest album, Around Some Corner, by this Philadelphia based jam band that combines bluegrass, Americana, and pop music in a most original way.  This one has been in a playlist for a little while, and I have been eagerly waiting for it to come up in the shuffle.  The album was produced by Tim Carbone (of Railroad Earth).   

"Talking to Myself" by Phil Lomac

Another first listen... Phil Lomac is a alt-folk/rock artist originally from Chicago - now based in North Carolina. This is from his most recent album Northern Cities Southern Stars. This was literally my first listen, and I dig it. 

"Month of Sundays" by Eli Cook

Next up, the first of two tracks from High Dollar Gospel by Virginia based bluesy roots rocker Eli Cook.  This is one of my favorites of 2017 so far. 

"Better Man" by Ali Handal

Ali Handal's latest album, That's What She Said came out last Friday, and we had a song from the album in our shuffle that day.   Really loving this album. 

"If Not For You" by Eli Cook

Our second track from Eli Cook. I dig this track. 

"Through the Gates" by Post Death Soundtrack

And we close the shuffle with a decidedly non- Americana track from Canadian doomtronica, experiemental band Post Death Soundtrack from their 2016 album The Unlearning Curve. 



No comments:

Post a Comment