Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What kind of music do you like?

I get asked this question sometimes.  Actually, I have probably asked it, too.  The real question (I think) behind this is something like; “Is music something we can talk about”.

I’m ashamed to admit it, but sometimes (especially in the past), I have tried to tailor my answer to what I think the asker will want to hear.  Nose piercing? I’ll name the most punk/indie band in my collection.  African American? I’ll tout the face that I have “The Message” in my player (and Howard Melvin & the Blue Notes).  Wearing a cowboy hat? I’ll mention my Hank Williams, George & Tammy, and Porter Waggoner songs. 

Maybe on some level, there isn’t any thing wrong with this.  I mean, yeah, it’s stereo-typing, but you know, maybe it beats the alternative, where I purposefully try to put the asker off by doing the exact opposite.  Nose piercing? I’ll mention that I have Rhianna or Taylor Swift in my player.  African American?  I’ll tout the fact that I have the Dixie Chicks or Dan Fogelberg.  Cowboy hat? I’ll mention GAYNGS or Erasure. You get the picture.

Sometimes this approach can have unexpected results. Stereotypes are sometimes way off...

Another approach I take is to say, “I like good music.”  But, really that sounds kind of snobby to me. “I like all types of music.” Sounds like I don’t really care about music.

So, what is the best answer to give when asked this question?  

No comments:

Post a Comment