Thursday, August 7, 2014

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Daddy Sang Bass Mix



Took a drive across the river last night, to a little dive bar in East Nashville called Fran's Eastside. Saw E2TG favorite Darrin Bradbury and the amazing Tim Carroll.  Fun night with great music, meeting cool people, and even the Music City Roots bus was there... and why not?  I have some pictures, but my phone is being stingy and won't release them yet.

By coincidence and because I have a ton of his music loaded right now, Darrin is in the shuffle again today - an older song - one of the first that really caught my attention.  He has a new release which I will be sharing more about soon....

To the shuffle:



"You Were Mine" by Year of October from WDVX Blue Plate Special 4/12/2014

We begin with E2TG favorites  - Nashville's Year of October from a live radio show in Knoxville from this past spring. They have a new record coming out - appropriately enough in October.


"The Day" by They Might Be Giants from First Album Live

The first of three songs from a recently released (and Free on Noisetrade) live version of their self-titled debut album. Filled with great songs like this one and the other one and the one after that...

"Boat of Car" by They Might Be Giants from First Album Live

Giving us the subtitle of this post.. the opening line of this song was later used in the song Will the Circle Be Unbroken? and in a song by Johnny Cash (written by Carl Perkins)... or I could have my chronology mixed up...

"Memorial Day" by The Danbury Lie from Fourth Time's a Charm

Another great track off the new release by another E2TG favorite.  The Danbury Lie are on of the most original bands I've come across, and I will keep spreading the word... 

But don't trust me - listen/read the words of Jason from The Grimm Generation: ""I downloaded the new The Danbury Lie for my ride in this morning and oh man. Love this record. Weird subsonic classical merged with something like The Shins, all sparkly sounding and weirdly well thought out. Well done, tDL." - JKrug "


"She's an Angel" by They Might Be Giants from First Album Live

That other song from the previously mentioned live album.

"Avant Gardener" by Courtney Barnett from The Double EP: A Sea of Split Peas

Courtney Barnett is from Australia, but she would fit in well here in Nashville and is welcome here any time.  Says me, the official gatekeeper of who can come to Nashville....  Cool song, and I approve of the title and so do the Avant Guard Dogs.

"My Baby Took My Baby Away" by Bobby Bare Jr's Young Criminal's Starvation League from Undefeated

Great song by Nashville legend and son of a Nashville legend Bobby Bare Jr. who has been a staple on the Nashville scene since I was a kid... come to think of it, he must have been a kid, too because he isn't that much older than me.

"Twenty Little Soldiers" by Darrin Bradbury from The Almost Great Crepe's (Demos)

The aforementioned song by the aforementioned Mr. Bradbury.  Nashville readers go see this guy either Wednesday's at Fran's or sometime...  for the video I picked a version done by his old band Big Wilson River who were a Featured Artist here before I even knew Darrin. 

"Good Enough" by Mr. Kind from Wide Awake/Open Hands

Yet another new song from Bay Area band and E2TG favorites Mr. Kind.

"Winter" by Year of October from WDVX Blue Plate Special 4/12/2014

And we close out where we began with a song from Year of October's Blue Plate Special session.  For the video I chose a slight more seasonally appropriate song Indian Summer.


VIDEO




SHOP









No comments:

Post a Comment