Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - Mystery Train Mix



I realize that I have a music problem, but there are far worse problems to have... I know because I've had those, too. Music, though, man! Music has this amazing ability to make you forget your problems or remind you that you are not alone with your problems or just to make you feel good for the 3 minutes or so that the song goes on. Music also has brought me together with some amazing people.

Today, we have a most excellent shuffle which has helped me through a not so excellent morning....  Now, I want to share it with you...


"Headlights" by Ellen Sundberg from Headlights

Some sweet, sweet Americana music from the heartland of Sweden.  I'll be honest, if I hadn't read that Ellen Sundberg was from Sweden, I never would have guessed.  Honest, heartfelt, and a damn fine song.

"Mystery Train" (live) by Link Wray/Robert Gordon from Cleveland '78

Whoever had the bright idea to put Surf guitar legend Link Wray together with neo-Rockabilly/Punk legend Robert Gordon should be in some sort of Hall of Fame.  Actually, if Wikipedia is correct it was Gordon himself who had the idea.  Any, the results pretty much speak for themselves.

"Palomino" by The Western Shore from Thunderstorm

I'm so excited to see The Western Shore perform live at their CD release party Thursday.  The amazing Aaron Lee Tasjan is also on the bill for what promises to be a great night of music.  This is another fine track off the Thunderstorm album.

"Saturday Nights" by American Aquarium from Burn. Flicker. Die.

Another day, another American Aquarium song.  I am so impressed by what these guys are doing, and I look forward to their follow-up album.  I wish everyone who says they hate Country music would hear this... hell, I wish everyone who says they love Country music would hear this.


"Not the One" by *repeat repeat from Deer Head Music Presents: Indie Mixtape Nashville/ Bad Latitude

*repeat repeat  (you gotta love the name and the asterisk) are reason number (I lost count) of why I love Nashville music.  Infectious and highly original music - this song fit in so well in this rather diverse mix of music.

"Cali to Cairo" by Sidestreet Reny from Tonal Tonics and Musical Elixers

Blues from Venice Beach, California played on a National Resonator guitar. For the millionth time, I am thanking David Horton aka Popa Tunes for turning me onto some great music that otherwise might have slipped past me. 

"A Solid Bond in Your Heart" by The Style Council from The Singular Adventures of the Style Council/Single

Yet another amazing song - this is one of the early ones -  from Paul Weller's follow-up band to The Jam. 

"King of The Bun-Ga-Loos" by The Splinters from 1964 Single

I know next to nothing about The Splinters.  This was one of Popa Tunes' contributions to the latest Feel Bad for You mixtape.  A nice slice of jungle surf music complete with yelps, screeches, and assorted other vocal noises.  I was happy to find this song on YouTube - so check it out.

"Some Days" by Sturgill Simpson from 2014-05-13 - Grimey's Records - Nashville/High Top Mountain

The shuffle is going well, and I wonder where it will go next... the shuffle function knows that you cannot go wrong with Sturgill Simpson.  A great song from his previous album High Top Mountain.

"My Love Was as Blind as Blind as Ray Charles and Half as Cold as Heat" by Kye Alfred Hillig from The Buddhist

Possibly one of the longest song titles we've featured - trust me when I say that the song lives up to the title, and I have a new singer/songwriter to check out. I couldn't find this song on video, but you definitely should check this song out and go from there (hint: the September Feel Bad for You mixtape might be a good place to start).  Kye Alfred Hillig is from Tacoma Washington, and the blurb on the Feel Bad for You site name drops Damien Jurado and Sun Kill Moon - if you are someone who needs a frame of reference. Really just a great song.


VIDEOS




No comments:

Post a Comment