Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - Gratitude Mix



Short and Sweet. In spite of Because of all of the difficulties of this year, I am more aware than ever of the reasons I have to be grateful.   In a randomly shuffled way - that will be my focus today....


"Cry Over You" by Tami Neilson from Dynamite!

I am grateful for the Feel Bad for You monthly mixtape for expanding and enhancing my musical palate. I am also grateful for new music that sounds like it comes from another era - like some lost classic recording.

"Don't Walk Away" by Aaron Lee Tasjan from Crooked River Burning

I am grateful for circumstances which have allowed to see and meet incredibly talented musicians/singers/songwriters like Aaron Lee Tasjan.  "This is a song about not walking away when someone's talking to you, it's called 'Don't Walk Away I'm Talking to You'"

"Two of Me" by Haesemeyer from Three Mirrors

I am grateful for discovering new music from near and far from a variety of sources and through the (sometimes) mixed blessing of social media getting to know the people behind the music.

"Fort Wayne" by Heath McNease from Fort Wayne

I am grateful for Noisetrade for introducing to music I might not otherwise hear. And for heartfelt people making the music they want to make regardless of labels or genre restrictions.

"Rambo" by The Features from Old Familiar Melodies - 2008-2013/Wilderness

I am grateful for people who come from near the place that I come from who go on to do great things who remind me that nothing about me holds me back except for me.

"God I Miss You" by Dan Coyle from Perfect World, Perfect Beat

I am grateful for people who notice when I write about them. As corny as it may sound, it is good to have reminders that I am not writing into a void. I am also grateful for people who remember and allow me to follow their journey through their music.

"Leaves" by The Western Shore from Thunderstorm

I am grateful for the insanely talented group of people I have been fortunate enough to become a part of over these last few months.  People pursuing their own version of the elusive but ever-present dream.  Nashville/East Nashville is filled with people like this, and I think I have found a pretty special (and ever expanding) group of folks with which to continue this journey.

"Can't Say No" by The Fleeting Ends from Can't Say No EP

Noisetrade again.... I am grateful for new music that manages to capture a bit of the music I grew up with without being derivative. I am grateful for a well-crafted Pop song, and I am grateful for continuing to discover new music almost every day.

"My Friend (Times Aren't Too Bad)" by D. Joseph Mooradian via Soundcloud

I am grateful for young people continuing to express themselves through the art form of music. In this town, in this age... it is easy to get caught up in the music "business" and the charts and articles and opinions and pageviews and the bloody $$$$s. Music is or at least can be art - not in an elitist kind of way, but in a spiritual kind of way.  We trade a bit of ourselves with one another through the various ways be express ourselves.  I am grateful to hear and see the children of friends following this path of expression no matter how far or where it leads.



This turned out to be a pretty cool exercise in gratitude. Of course, I left out so many.  That's why I use the random shuffle - if I was trying to create some "perfect" gratitude playlist - I would worry and obsess and it wouldn't be done until next Thanksgiving.  

Have a good Holiday if you are celebrating.  To my Canadian friends - I send that greeting back through time to last month.  For others.... well, there is quite a bit about this American holiday that you may think is weird and excessive... but when it comes to taking time to be grateful - well, I think we got that part about right.


VIDEO APPROXIMATION







No comments:

Post a Comment