Thursday, November 13, 2014

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - This is the Blues Mix



Nashville - come out tonight to The Five Spot in East Nashville at 9:00pm for an awesome show. The Harmed Brothers, Charlie and the Foxtrots, and #E2TG favorite Darrin Bradbury who will be backed by the star-studded (and stud-starred) Fran's Eastside Super-High Band!

Apologies to Tim Carroll (who by the way is part of the aforementioned Super-High Band) for appropriating the title of one of his songs for the subtitle of today's shuffle.  The song isn't in the shuffle, but it came to my find, when I heard the high concentration of Blues numbers in the first part of this morning's shuffle. 

Shuffle Up!


"She's Gone" by Pork Chop Willie from Love is the Devil
For the second straight day, we have an awesome track from one of my favorite albums of 2014.  This is a Pork Chop Willie original with a snappy, rocking sound.

"Yoyo Daddy" by Sidestreet Reny and Lil' Bell from Holler

Also reappearing for the second day in a row... with his 1934 National Resonator guitar!  Here is Sidestreet Reny.

"Battle vs The War" by Butch Walker from Noisetrade Sampler/b-side single

Butch Walker has a long and diverse music career.  This is one of his newer releases (he has a new album due out next year).  On the video, this song is a duet with the awesome Nikki Lane.  I think she sings on the recorded version, but in my limited research time, I could not absolutely confirm that.  Butch Walker fact checkers assemble!    I really, really dig this song!

"Boogie Bar and BBQ" by Stacy Mitchhart from Live My Life

A nice stroke of genuine Blues music from Music City USA.  This is from his brand new album which I just got my hands on thanks to Ms. Sue Havlish.  My first listen, and I'm digging it.  It's funny how I never considered myself a fan of the Blues, and yet the more I hear, the more I realize I really was a fan all along.  The video is an awesome cover of a Hall and Oates song recorded live at the Bourbon Street Blues Bar in Printer's Alley in Downtown Nashville.

"My .32-20" by Sidestreet Reny and Lil' Bell from Holler

Number two of the day from the awesome Holler album which I also just got my hands on - h/t to the incomparable David J. "Popatunes" Horton.  Did you know that Sidestreet Reny's background is in hip-hop music.  For kicks and continuing an unintended theme, we have Brian McKnight's version of another Hall and Oates song featuring a rap by Sidestreet Reny himself. 

"Evil World" by The Radicals from Halloween  Rhymes and Children's Crimes

Man! It so good to have some sharp old school style PUNK in the shuffle.  Who cares that this was a Halloween album and that it is now mid-November? Really who cares?  Clear the furniture and be prepared to slam dance!

"17th Last Cigarette (thinkin' bout drinkin')" by Swearing at Motorists from While Laughing, The Joker Tells the Truth

Swearing at Motorists are a Dayton, Ohio two piece band lead by dave doughman who have a twenty year history.  This song is from their latest album, and it's really strong!

"Peggy Sang the Blues" by Frank Turner from England Keep My Bones

I don't know if this is considered Blues, but it is about singing the blues, and it has the word Blues in the title.  Frank Turner is a British folk/punk artist, and this really awesome song is on his 2011 record.

"I Love, I Love (Traveling II)" by Dar Williams from The Honesty Room

The first of two tracks from Dar Williams' 1995 album.  We featured Traveling I a few weeks back.

"Little City" by The Western Shore from Thunderstorm

Hard to believe it has been a week since I attended the CD Release show by The Western Shore.  They sounded great live, and they sound equally great on the album (which you should buy!)

"Whistle in the Dark" by Matt King from Raw

Keeping it local with another great track from Matt King's stripped down Raw album.

"In Love But Not at Peace" by Dar Williams from The Honesty Room

Closing things out with our second listen of the day from one of my personal favorite's - Dar Williams.



VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment