Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - Roots Reality Mix



I had the great pleasure last night of venturing to one my favorite spots in East Nashville - The Family Wash for their regular Tuesday night Short Sets, and I got to see Joe Nolan perform.  He has been featured a couple of times recently here at E2TG, and it was great to hear him play live and to finally meet him in person...

Due to some unforeseen and unfortunate events, I am shorter than usual on time for today's shuffle...   So let's do what we can with what we have to work with... a stunningly diverse and awesome shuffle today...

"Holy Vivisection" by Bad Friends from The Entrée (Built4BBQ Sampler)/Bad Friends

If I had been half asleep when I began my daily trek to work...  Let's just say there is nothing like some good old fashioned hardcore punk to get your blood pumping...  And, yep that Built4BBQ sampler is the good stuff...

"Falling" by Heather Powell from A Haze of Grays and Blues

I am telling you (and not for the first time), when it comes to awkward transitions between songs you would be hard pressed to find a music blog that does it better than E2TG (if I must say so myself).  We come out of the power and energy of the Bad Friends song with a completely different kind of power in the form of the gorgeous vocals and music of Ms. Heather Powell from her forthcoming CD.

"Indenesh Gedaow (Folk Song of Ethiopia)" by Mahmoud Ahmed from Hidden Treasures 100 Vinyl Recordings from Around the World

A rabbit hole that began with a Peacefork blog post lead me to this bit of wonderful African music from Mahmoud Ahmed of Ethiopia.  We are all one people and I believe that is why true roots music of any culture moves us all if we are willing to listen.

"Girl on a Cable" by Darrin Bradbury for A Car Becomes a House

It was of little surprise when I learned that Darrin Bradbury grew up in a circus. If you have the chance to meet him, you will see what I mean.  This song seems to draw upon that experience, and it is an excellent example of what makes Darrin's music so damn awesome.

"Big Road" by Sidestreet Reny and Lil' Bell from Holler

Another great track from the new Sidestreet Reny album Holler.

"Gone is Going" by Hugh Trimble from neighborpoem

The more I hear from Hugh Trimble, the more I am impressed.  The word that kept coming to my mind with this song was rollicking. Check out his album neighborpoems at Bandcamp.

"Never" by Heather Powell from Believe it to Life

Our second song today from Heather Powell this one from her album Believe it to Life.  More gorgeous music.

"Roots Reality" by Sidestreet Reny from Tonal Tonics and Musical Elixers

While we are on second songs from earlier albums let's continue with this one from the album Tonal Tonics and Musical Elixers.  I think I've mentioned a couple of times that Sidestreet Reny was a rapper before he turned to the Blues. This song moves that information from the realm of trivial fact into startling reality.  This is amazing vocal and musical work.  As I was listening, I just kept smiling and saying, "Yes!".

"Swoon" by Emily Wolfe from Roulette

We close things out with some chunky dream popish music from Austin, Texas. A great way to close out a wild and wooly shuffle.


VIDEOS



               

No comments:

Post a Comment