Thursday, March 9, 2017

Topical Thursday Morning Shuffle - Pass the Wine Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!



I need to keep things brief. I need to run an errand.  On my mind today is healthcare. First of all, the ACA or Obamacare. Do I think it is really, really wonderful? No. I would prefer single-payer. BUT, it is a vast improvement over what we had before, and there was simply not the political will to go further. It was a remarkable achievement that this bill even passed.  Meanwhile, the GOP had seven years to work with President Obama to make the bill better. Instead, they spend their time on meaningless votes to repeal the law. They had seven years to come up with a plan of their own, and now, they have scrambled to come with something and what they came up with will have devastating consequences. Look, healthcare is complicated. I think everyone except the current President has long understood that, and I do not have all of the answers. I do know that when the most vulnerable members of our society are suffering while insurance executives are making exorbitant profits and salaries and using some of that money to influence elected officials to maintain their advantages, them we have a broken system.  And I know that in the meantime, any plan that increases the burden on the poorest and most needy while increasing the profits of the richest and most greedy is contemptible.

It is Topical Tuesday.  I think I have explained this thing enough - but i will just clarify once more that these songs connection to my "topic" is strictly the product of my weird way of thinking. I  do realize that many of these songs are not at all about anything that would fit my topic.  Again, it's just a weird mental trick - title, possible interpretation - unifying theme.  Got it? Good.

Tonight - Smoky White Devils with the Mark Robinson Band at The 5 Spot early.  After that - the choices are myriad and there is much to recommend.


"Poisoned the Well" by Vanessa Collier
First up, we have another track from Vanessa Collier's Meeting My Shadow.  And yes, this is a song that has nothing to do with whatever I was thinking in including it in this playlist.  But, poisoning the well does bring up a lot of thoughts to my brain. 

"Bad Feeling" by The Beat Up

The Beat Up were a UK punk band. This track is from a 2010 album called Black Rats Defence. Nice high-energy angry music for a morning commute. 

"Where Words Mean Nothing At All" by Brock Zeman

So, yes, I get that this phrase is meant in a positive way here. But, there is an alternative meaning that makes this fit my topic. From Rotten Tooth.  Brock Zeman is from Canada, and I think he going to be be in Nashville very soon. 

"Send in the Clowns" by Frank Sinatra
Sinatra and Sondheim.  I think the clowns are already here. 

"Cold War World Peace" by Fromage Bleu

Fromage Bleu are a synth pop band from the UK, but they did some recording with the folks in NYC at Mama Coco's Funky Kitchen. I could find next to nothing about them - including a video. 

"The Adversary" by Crime and the City Solution

A track from Until the End of the World soundtrack by the Australian band who have been around since 1977.

"Fuck The Government, I Love You" by The Burning Hell

The Burning Hell are based out of Newfoundland. I love this song soooo much, and it seeems perfect for the "topic" at hand. Now, pass the wine. 






No comments:

Post a Comment