Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - Shout Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


So on International Women's Day, I am thinking about all the rad women in my life.

I think it is ridiculous that 17 years into the 21st Century, we are still fighting for equality for all people. I am grateful for the people who remind me to check my privilege. Privilege - male privilege, white privilege, etc - this is a real thing. It's not a liberal talking point, As a person who benefits from more than one type of privilege, what is important is that I consciously consider that privilege when I am acting and speaking.  This may mean that I listen rather than talking or it may mean that I choose my words more carefully when I do speak.

Last night, I got to see Bee Taylor for the first time at The Basement East - as part of Whiskey Jam.  We had become acquainted on Facebook and it was great to finally meet her. I am now a huge fan. Wonderfully soulful music.

After that I headed to The 5 Spot for $2 Tuesday.  Several great acts, I saw Kristen Ford for the second time - awesome one-woman band - she uses loops to great effect. Fun.  Derek Hoke and band sounded great as always, and it is always wonderful to see Andrew Leahey and the Homestead kick ass.

On we go - into Wednesday.  This is always one of my favorite shuffles on the week.  The other days, features randsom shuffles for specially curated playlists.  Wild Wednesday is a shuffle of every single song in my phone's memory.  This means, on any given Wednesday, you may hears songs that do not fit the other day's playlist.  Or songs that inadvertently were left off of a playlist.

Enough blabbing - let's get on with the shuffle -


"Look What You've Done To Your Brother" by Drivin' N' Cryin'

We start off with a track from the 1991 album, Fly Me Courageous, by this Atlanta band - fronted by Kevn Kinney. 

"Leavin' His Town" by Suzette Lawrence And The Neon Angels

Our second listen of the week to Suzette Lawrence's Tear Up the Honky Tonk. Rip roaring good music. 

"The River" (Live) by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

Next up with have a live concert recording of the title track to Springsteen's 1980 landmark album.  What I listened to was as recording made in Chicago on January 19, 2016.

"Chuta" by Lady

I was going to make a reference to International Women's Day and the shuffle bringing up a song by a band named Lady, however, upon reviewing the band's Facebook page, it appears that the band called it quits earlier this year. Also, it appears that the members of Lady were actually all dudes. I got this track from a Mama Coco's Funky Kitchen compilation. 
"Is It Possible to Love 2 People" by Robert Finley

Robert Finley is a "Soul" roots music musician from Reston, Louisiana.  He has a fascinating story which I hope to get into in a future post. In this track from his recent album, Age Don't Mean a Thing, Finley asks an interesting musical question.

"Shout" (Live) by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

And we close out the shuffle with the closing song from the previously mentioned Chicago concert. This rousing version of the Isley Brother's classic features an introduction of the band. 

(click link above to view playlist)

No comments:

Post a Comment