Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle- Me Against Me Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook


Well... it's Wednesday and not only that it is November.  Which means, we have just two months to go in 2017.  The time for the 2017 Earie Awards (3rd Annual) are fast approaching.  Watch this space for more details.

I will be hosting a show in January at The Country.  Be on the lookout for details.

Well, being Wednesday, we shuffle up all of the songs in my phone's memory. We call it "Wild" Wednesday because...well, because the results are often wild. And because it is like a wildcard. You never know what it will be.  Here's today's shuffle.


"Little Dixie Farm" by Dan Martin

We start off with a track from Hoka Hey, Dan Martin's 2015 album.  Martin is from Oklahoma, and I met him and got this album when I ran into his at a David Olney show at The 5 Spot. I think this is the last track I have to feature from Hoka Hey, but I have one more from Dan Martin - from the 2016 Oklahoma Room (Folk Alliance) CD. 
"Last Lesson" by Someday

I think maybe this song came up recently.  Usually, I delete songs from my phone when they come up. With this phone, I have had a few instances of songs coming up again after I thought I deleted them.  In any case, I dig this song, so I don't mind that it came up again. Someday are from Torino, Italy and their latest album is This Doesn't Exist. 

"Me Against Me" by John Wesley Harding

I realize that my favorite songwriters speak to some deep truth within me.  John Wesley Harding (Wesley Stace) is one of those.  This is a track from his 1992 album Why We Fight.  We have met the enemy and he is us. 

"Rock 'n' Roll Clef" by De Surfures

Some surf rock from Castro del Rio, Spain via a Continental Magazine sampler that I got at an instrumental rock show in Nashville a couple of years ago.  I think I have just one more track from that sampler left on my phone.  May need to load up on more surf music.

"Drive Real Fast" by Mark Robinson

According to the Facebook wayback machine, I played a Mark Robinson Band song on E2TG four years ago today. And lo and behold, look what came up today.  This is a seven minute live jam from Mark's latest CD Live at The 5 Spot.  I'm pretty sure I  was there when this was recorded.  Throw my cell phone out the window... 

"Stone Cupid" by Julie Christensen

Stone Cupid is Julie Christensen's on-line identity and the name of her band. This is the song of that name from her album Soul Driver which came out in 2000.  I never tire of hearing Julie sing. 

"Veldbrand (Fields of Fire)" by Bosveld (feat. Jenny Berkel)

And we close things out with some Canadian psych-folk. This is the title track from the 2015 album and features Canadian singer-songwriter Jenny Berkel. Bosveld is long-time E2TG favorite Thean.  I found a Bosveld video and a video of Jenny Berkel singing with Daniel Romano. 



No comments:

Post a Comment