Friday, November 17, 2017

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - Drafty Aisles Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook




This is my last day to post about the WXNA Fall Pledge Drive, but the drive itself continues through Sunday.  So, if you haven't made a donation, you have just a couple more days to get on board.  You can call 615-933-9962 or go to wxnafm.org it's easy as pie. You can make a one-time donation or set up an automatic monthly bank draft. If you give just $6.00 a month (or $72) - or more - you will receive a WXNA coffee mug.  Everyone who donates will receive a limited edition WNXA heart sticker. What are you waiting for?

Well, we made it the end of another week. This is actually the last full week of blog posts in November.  Next week, I will be posting Monday through Wednesday before taking off for Thanksgiving.  The week after that, Friday is the 1st of December!   That means it is almost time for the 3rd Annual Earie Awards.  Wow!

Well, today is Friday so let's see what songs/bands/albums we are featuring....


"Descender" by Cellarscape

Boy the shuffle function sure is digging Exo Echo by Cellarscape. Well, so am I! Today's track has a slightly more menacing/darker tone than the song we played yesterday.  A cool way to start my morning. 

"A Mininalist" by SuperCrashingStar

Thankfully, the new music player resolved the metadata ID tagging issue with Digital Lo-Fi - so I can tell you without hesitation that this is a song from the album Digital Lo-Fi by SuperCrashingStar. This band is a favorite of E2TG - they've had some personnel changes since we first wrote about them, but I am so happy to have their unique songs and sound in my shuffle.  They are based in NYC but they are very much an international band.  

"Republicans" by Discount Ravioli

Okay, I honestly have no idea what the hell is going on on this track from Baby Arm Sessions. Except that it was very late and I'm guessing the various and sundry members of Discount Ravioli were hopped on either sugar and/or caffeine. That's just a guess.  In any event, for the video selection - since Discount Ravioli eschews videos - I found a video of Hayden Nork playing drums with Becky from the band Violent Mae.  Hayden is the bass player of The Foresters but all of these kids are multi-talented. 

"Rock 'n' Roll Clef" by De Surfures

I recently played a De Surfures song from a Continental Magazine sampler, and they send me some music. This is actually a track from their 2014 debut, but it's new to me, and I never pass on the chance to have surf music in my shuffle. De Surfures are from Spain. 

"Nina" by Low Society

When Low Society - out of Memphis - slow things down, they do not lose any of their energy and fire. This track pretty much smolders, as Mandy  Lemons Nikides growls out the lyrics. This track is dripping in Mississippi mud. 

"Cold Shoulder" by The Kernal

Next up, we have another track from Tennessee artist The Kernal. He calls his sound and his latest album "Light Country" but there is nothing lightweight about this music. I really dug this song a bunhc. 

"Breathless Speechless" by Black Needle Noise with Sivert Høyem

Okay, I am pretty sure we played this one before. I tried to go through a delete all the songs that my old music player failed to delete, but I obviously missed a few. You know what, though, I love this one so much I'm not ever worried about it. I have been pleased to bring you songs from Lost in Reflection.  Principle member John Fryer's credits include Depeche Mode, Cocteau Twins, Nine Inch Nails, Stabbing Westward, and more. He is perhaps best know as a member of This Mortal Coil.  Sivert Høyem is a singer-songwriter from Norway. 

"Three Girls" by Ben Arthur

And we close out the day and the week, with another track from the brand new album by Ben Arthur.  American Castles just came out this week.  This track is based upon/an answer to a short story by Joyce Carol Oates.  Arthur had a couple of songs on his last album based upon short stories by Oates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment