Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - Ear to the Wall Mix



Life is a balance of patience, hard work, dumb luck, and the occasional moment of happy coincidence. Or so it seems from this particular moment in my existence. I was thinking about the two recent reviews I wrote, and the circumstances that lead me to having the opportunity to write those reviews.  In 2011, when I started Ear to the Ground, I was trying to find a blog platform that would be easy to use and be visually interesting.  I came across Posterous which seeming fit the bill.  Through that site, I came into contact with Howard Rabach and his enigmatic band Ubiquity Machine.  We became Facebook friends, and now Howard plays bass for The Grey A, and he sent me their new album to review.

About six months later, around the time that I decided that Posterous could not do everything I wanted to do*, I happened upon a cool band from New Jersey called Those Mockingbirds. That band lead me to Don Ryan, Popa Tunes, The Dead Exs, The End Men, and my whole fascination with New York/New Jersey/Connecticut bands and artists which continues to this day.  Through all of that, and I think through a direct recommendation from Don Ryan, I became familiar with a band called Big Wilson River - a cool band which featured Darrin Bradbury who put out Motel Oatmeal, the other album I reviewed last weekend. 

Just thought I'd share... I don't know what it all means...  The End Men have taught me the idea of saying yes to almost everything, and so far that philosophy seems to be working out okay.

Well we have a shuffle to put on... so enough musing...


"The T.G.V." by Tim Carroll from Opening Up/Always Tomorrow

"Great, great speed. Oui, Oui!"

"Take Another Look" by Little Village from Little Village

You take Jim Keltner, Nick Lowe, John Hiatt, and Ry Cooder and you put them together in one group - what could possibly go wrong.  Absolutely nothing!  Just wished it had lasted a bit longer.

"What'll We Do 'Til Then" by Tim Carroll from Opening Up/All Kinds of Pain

This and the first song of this shuffle are from a live album called Opening Up which was recorded in Atlanta (I think).  Both tracks feature intros of a sort from Elizabeth Cook. I've been fortunate enough to hear Tim do these songs over the last few weeks, and maybe I'll hear 'em again tonight.

"From Now On" by The Features from Old Familiar Melodies - 2008-2013/The Twilight Sage: Breaking Dawn - Part I Original Motions Picture Soundtrack

That's right I said Twilight Saga... Edward, Jacob, Belle, vampires that don't act like vampires... the features are a cool band from Nashville who make some really catchy music that a bunch of people really like.  They've released a kind of best of... sampler on NoiseTrade.

"This Thing That I've Found" by The Autumn Defense from NoiseTrade Eastside Manor Session/Fifth

I added began adding a bunch of The Autumn Defense music to my list after seeing them play live at last years Americanarama deal at Grimey's.  For now, this is the last of those tracks. This is part of their Eastside Manor Session - recorded in East Nashville for NoiseTrade.

"Heart Full of Now" by Deena from Rock River

Two days in a row, we have songs from Deena's remarkable album Rock River.  For pure fun, this may be my favorite song.  After I hear it, it takes quite a while to stop singing it.

"Cry for Me" (live) by The California Honeydrops from Honeydrops Live

Also two days in a row for The California Honeydrops, and this two is very fun and funky song.  Groovetastic!

"(She Was A) Hotel Detective" by They Might Be Giants from First Album Live

"She's got her ear to the walls and she's tapping the calls
If you've got a secret, boy, forget about it"

"Puts The Sugar On" by Tim Carroll from Always Tomorrow

Why not three from Mr. Carroll?  He played this one last week during his Happy Hour at The 5 Spot.  If you're in Nashville, he'll be back at The 5 Spot this Friday for Happy Hour with his crack band featuring Bones Hillman (Midnight Oil) and Steve Latanation.  Tonight you can catch Tim solo at Logue's Black Raven Emporium at 8:00 opening for Greg Garing and later at Fran's Eastside with Darrin Bradbury opening up.

"Sad Saturday Night" by David Olney from When the Deal Goes Down

Speaking of... what? The Five Spot Happy Hour? Artists we featured yesterday? Nashville? Whatever, David Olney is back in the shuffle today with another from his When the Deal Goes Down album.  He will be at The 5 Spot tonight from 6-8:30 with his crack band featuring Sergio Webb, Dan Seymour, and Justin Amaral.  The video from this song is kind of new, and features some awesome Nashville locales.
    

VIDEOS:

        

No comments:

Post a Comment