Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - Blue Rainbow Mix



ICYMI (Labor Day Weekend Edition):  

We created an E2TG Facebook Page - so like it please maybe?

We posted a couple of album reviews over the weekend.

1.  Darrin Bradbury - Motel Oatmeal -  on E2TG and cross-posted to No Depression (go visit both sites if you have time)

2. The Grey A - My Country - on E2TG and cross-posted (and currently featured!) to No Depression.

Shuffle to follow:


"When the Deal Goes Down" by David Olney from When the Deal Goes Down

I had the good fortune to see David Olney at The Five Spot joined for the night by Ear to the Ground favorite Mark Robinson.  Mark also co-produced this Olney's latest album, and it's a good one.


"Valse de Balfa" by Linda Thompson from Evangeline Made: a tribute to Cajun Music

From the Cajun Music tribute album, the always incredible Linda Thompson.  The video is another version of this long.  Linda you may remember made a few of the best albums of all-time with her then husband Richard Thompson. 


"Pastorale" by Clocks and Clouds from The Creation of Matter

A gorgeous addition to my morning drive from the classically inspired Clocks and Clouds.


"Les Flammes d'Enfer" by Richard Thompson from Evangeline Made: a tribute to Cajun Music

Speaking of Richard Thompson - he is also on that Cajun Music tribute album I've been listening to of late.  The video here is of a version of the song by Jo-el Sonnier who previously covered Thompson's Tear-Stained Letter.


"Over the Rainbow" by Victoria Williams from Sings Some Ol' Songs

Victoria Williams recorded an album of classic songs.  This is her stunning version of the song Judy Garland sang in The Wizard of Oz.  I couldn't find a video of her version of this song, so I've included a performance of her song "Crazy Mary" where she is joined by the late Lou Reed.

"Carolina Peach" by The California Honeydrops from Like You Mean It

Once again, Popa Tune's turns me on to a band, and once again I have a new band I like. 

"Why so Blue?" by David Olney from When the Deal Goes Down

Another great track from the new album.  In the video playlist, we've included the latest edition of Olney's video newsletter so I don't have to try to write about all of his goings on -which are many and all awesome.

"When in Roam" by Delta Spirit from Lost and Found

I saw the Delta Spirit at Live on the Green a couple of years ago.  They were incredible live.  This one is from a 2006 EP.

"Astronomy" by Chris Stamey from Lovesick Blues

Another great track from Chris Stamey's 2013 album.  Last time I posted some songs from this album, I failed to mention that a couple of years ago (the same night that I saw Delta Spirit at LOTG in fact, I saw Chris Stamey along with Jody Stephens and an all-star band performing songs of Big Star as part of the Americana Fest.

"My Own Advice" by Deena from Rock River 

And, we close out our shuffle with this song from Deena.  As the recent reception to my album reviews has been so overwhelming, I am reminded of some long overdue reviews I have to get to soon.  Including this album from the former member of The Cucumbers.


VIDEO PLAYLIST of the Day:



          

No comments:

Post a Comment