Thursday, September 18, 2014

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Gallatin Pike Mule Mix



It is axiomatic that on any given night, if you go hear live music in Nashville - no matter how epically awesome your experience - there is something equally epic and awesome going on either next door or across town.  This is even more true - if something axiomatic can be "more" true during Americana Fest week which is going on now.   I just added a corollary to this axiom (Can an axiom have a corollary?  Can it have a coronary?), which states that if you hang out in the same smoky dive bar in East Nashville long enough you will hear "Freebird" accompanied by a trombone and it will be amazing.



Tonight - E2TG favorite Mark Robinson joins an amazing line-up of Rocking Roots Guitarists at The Five Spot from 5-8pm.  At 8:00 - another E2TG favorite - Pony Boy will be leading off a Five Spot Favorites show at that same location.  And it goes on...




"Another One" by The Features from Old Familiar Melodies - 2008-2013/Wilderness

Another cool song from Nashville's The Features.

"After the Hurricane" by Tim Carroll from Opening Up/Not For Sale

One of my favorite Tim Carroll songs.  I can neither confirm or deny that Tim may or may not have been involved in the formation of my corollary mentioned above...

"Cold Chicago" by Humming House from Humming House Party!

More Nashville and a prime example of the original axiom - just last night.  A fun song from a fun album recorded live in East Nashville.

"I Refuse to Lose" by Jarekus Singleton from Alligator Records: 21st Century Blues and Roots/Refuse to Lose

Some great 21st Century Blues.  And there is even a Nashville connection - as I got an e-mail just 2 days ago that Jarekus Singleton will be playing in Nashville in about a week.

"Gallatin Pike Blues" by Tim Easton from Not Cool

I got to see Tim Easton do this song with the amazing Megan Palmer at The Building this week.  Another cool slice of Nashville and a tribute to the late John Hartford.

"Mule" by Francie Moon and the Great Outdoors  from Francie Moon and the Great Outdoors

I saw Francie Moon do this song in East Nashville a month or so ago. It was awesome.

"Lonesome Poor" by Pork Chop Willie from Love is the Devil

This is one of my favorite albums of 2014.  I had some technical difficulties that kept this out of my shuffle for a while, but it has been resolved.  This album was passed along to me by Sue Havlish who I hope to see tonight at The Five Spot.

"Here Comes Love" by The California Honeydrops from Like You Mean It

I have no Nashville connection - I hate when I write myself into a corner like this.... ah heck man, this is a great song with a great groove - just enjoy...

"In and Out" by Francie Moon and the Great Outdoors  from Francie Moon and the Great Outdoors

Two songs from New Jersey's own in the shuffle.  By the way, one of the Francie Moon videos I added is from this past year's Couch by Couchwest Virtual Music Festival.

"Johnny Has Gone for a Soldier" by A.A. Bondy from Divided and United: The Songs of the Civil War

Just before this song came up on the shuffle - I was feeling a particular vibe from the shuffle and I was realty hoping the final song didn't harsh that vibe.  I mean, I like all of the music I add to my player, but because I have such wide-ranging tastes... okay, I think I'm over explaining.  Anyway, this old, old song from the American Civil War did not harsh my vibe.  In reading up, this song has been covered many, many times by a variety of artists.  I haven't heard them all, but I can safely say that this is a great version.  All around the Nashville area, you can monuments to Civil War battlefields.  Also, just to wrap this shuffle into as neat a bow as possible...  The album from which this is drawn features new versions of Civil War era songs performed by relatively new "Americana" artists like A.A. Bondy and Angel Snow along side songs performed by some amazing Country music legends - including Dolly Parton.  Dolly's cousin and former band member Richie Owens is playing the Rocking Roots Guitar Showcase with his band The Farm Bureau. 

And that is a wrap...


VIDEOS




No comments:

Post a Comment