Thursday, January 8, 2015

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - The Motel Angels Sing Mix



Temperatures started plunging yesterday in Nashville, but your favorite music blogger didn't let that stop him from exploring some of the city's mid-week music offerings.  And neither did I.  Here's the scorecard: 1. Hanging out with one of my favorite musician's managers and a top notch Nashville singer/songwriter and watching the granddaughter of an outlaw country music legend rock the house. 2. Meeting said granddaughter and some of her band. 3. Watching three of the absolute best songwriters around kick off their tour. 4. Making triumphant return to Fran's Eastside (first time since December 17?) and hanging with some cool folks and hearing some amazing music from some of my insanely talented friends.  Yeah!

This morning, it was as cold as... well you'll have to come up with your own saying, I'm still too cold to think straight.  Here are the songs that valiantly tried to keep me warm... well they sure made being cold more tolerable.


"God Loves a Drunk" by Richard Thompson

Okay, if you consider yourself a fan of modern folk music, and you haven't heard Richard Thompson's Rumor and Sigh (or even if you haven't heard it in a while) then you need to remedy that shit, and I mean now.

"Junkie Love" by Darrin Bradbury

Always a highlight of his live shows.... ladies and gentlemen, the 2014 Artist of the Year for Ear to the Ground! Lesson: when you are in a crappy motel room in New Orleans, and you overhear an interesting conversation in the adjacent room, you put a cup up to the wall and you write that shit down. From the demo collection, When a Car Becomes a House.  Maybe, probably a fleshed out version of this song will be on the forthcoming Darrin Bradbury album.

"Too Much of a Good Thing" by The Sons (featuring Bret Reilly)

Okay, this song is from the Dumb and Dumber Soundtrack, and in my haphazard research, I could not find out anything more about the band or the featured guest.  I found one band called The Sons who broke up some time recently, but it does not appear to be the same band.  It's a cool song.

"I Hope This Whole Thing Didn't Frighten You" by The Hold Steady

Sometimes events prompt me to add certain artists to my active playlist.  In late December, Darrin Bradbury was part of a sold out show in New York that featured Craig Finn of The Hold Steady.  Hence, I added this song to the list.  I'm pretty much absolutely glad I did. This is from their latest album, Teeth Dreams.

"Common Mistake" by The Bad Years

Another track from Noisetrade's Best of What's Next 2015 playlist.  The Bad Years are from Los Angeles, and Common Mistake is their first single.  Check them out.

"Killing Time" by Dead and Lovely

More from the talented new Nashvillian's who call themselves Dead and Lovely.  A perfect soundtrack to the beginning of my single digit walk.

"American Dreaming" by Killing Kuddles

The latest music from our favorite punk folk rockers/folk punk rockers. Killing Kuddles is from Atlanta and is associated with the Autumn + Color label.  Hoping to hear much more music in 2015.  In the meantime, get this tune... it rocks!

"No One is Lost" by Stars

Stars is a Montreal band.  This appears to be their latest single, and the title track from their latest album which was released in October.  Groovy tune.

"Down Where The Drunkards Roll" by Richard and Linda Thompson

Another reason why I like using the shuffle to decide the songs and their order each day...  If I had contrived a playlist that began with Richard Thompson's "God Loves a Drunk" and ended with Richard and Linda Thompson's "Down Where the Drunkards Roll", I would have probably chickened out thinking it was too contrived.  But, since it was the shuffle making the decision for me, I can just sit back and revel in the wonder of beginning and ending the shuffle this way. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST


             

No comments:

Post a Comment