Monday, March 16, 2015

Monday Morning Music Shuffle - Bad Boys and Transference Mix



Well... Couch by Couchwest 2015 kicked off yesterday...  So far, I have seen videos from Science! who has been featured recently on E2TG, plus my friend Drew Kohl of Young America (who coincidently are releasing a 3 song EP today), The Foresters, Miss Shevaughn and Yuma Wray, and I have a bunch I need to catch up on eventually.  Keep on couchin'!  And if you haven't submitted a video, there is still time!



"She's My Lowcountry" by The Lucky Jukebox Brigade

This is the last song we have to feature on Familiar Fevers, but who knows, I might reload and start over... I can do that... it's my blog!  Anyway, I love this song.  In honor of CXCW, I picked 2013 submission from The Lucky Jukebox Brigade to lead off today's video playlist.

"Bad Boys and Painkillers" by James Dean Bradfield

 From the 2009 album, The Great Western... James Dean Bradfield is the lead singer and lead guitarist of Manic Street Preachers.  I really love this song - it rings very true and sounds pretty darn fresh.

"It Doesn't Have to Be This Way" by The Tourists

From Should Have Been Greatest Hits... originally the lead track for Reality Effect (1979).  Even if the production does sound dated, the song is top notch...

"Transference" by Matt Phillips and the Philharmonic

Some psychological music from Matt Phillips and his band The Philharmonic...

"On the Riverside" by Boy Named Banjo

My first listen to Nashville Americana band, Boy Named Banjo.  I like it a bunch, and look forward to featuring some more from them soon.  Thanks to my friend Boyd for pointing this out to me. From the album, Long Story Short.

"Spooky Boots" by Reverend Horton Heat

From the album REV!  It's the Rev, doing what they do best... psychobilly at it's finest.

"(Quicksilver Daydreams of) Maria" by Townes Van Zandt

From the live recording, I got hold of on TVZ's birthday. Further evidence (as if it was needed) that Townes Van Zandt was and is a giant among songwriters. This song was originally on his 1968 debut album, For the Sake of the Song.

"UP" by The Renaldo The Ensemble

I am so glad to have The Renaldo The Ensemble back in the shuffle.  They are delightfully offbeat and impossible to classify, and who wants to waste time classifying anyway?  Just sit back an enjoy the show..

"The Unanswered Question?" by Syd Straw        

Even since I first heard this record way back in the day, I've always felt there was an other worldly quality to this music.  Like hazy fever dream of a great pop song.... From Surprise. For a treat, since I couldn't find a video of this song, I picked a video from the very first episode of MTV Unplugged (according to the Youtube description) with Jules Shear, Chris Difford and Gleen Tilbrook (Squeeze), Elliot Easton (The Cars) and Syd Straw doing "I'm A Believer" (the Monkee's hit song, written by Neil Diamond)...



VIDEO PLAYLIST




No comments:

Post a Comment