Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - No, All! Mix



Back in the shuffle business after an absolutely incredible weekend at the 2nd Annual Safety Harbor SongFest.  Expect more detailed and official reports once I have fully recovered, but for now, let me just say I had a blast at this well-organized, artistically uplifting event and enjoyed some gorgeous weather.  Despite my peeling nose and flight delay coming home, I can strongly recommend fans and musicians alike check out this still relatively new festival.


"Heart Beats" by Hey Marseilles

From Lines We Trace. Hey Marseilles are an indie/chamber pop band from Seattle. Contrary to what some may tell you, there are no fiddles in the band.

"Kiss Me When I Get Back" by Tom Tom Club

From Boom Boom Chi Boom Boom. Chris, Tina, and company add some funky grooves to the morning shuffle.

"Can't Seem to Make You Mine" by Alex Chilton


Taken from the Alex Chilton compilation 19 Years... This is a cover of the 1965 single by the American garage band, The Seeds.

"Crazy Love, Vol. II" by Paul Simon

From Graceland. I have no opinion about that....

"Conquistador" by Love Tractor

 The instrumental rock band that was instrumental in the creating the vibrant Athens, Georgia music scene that spawned so many great bands.  This is from their 2014 comeback album Dear Aliens.

"No, All!" by Descendents

From the album All.  This follow up to the 1 second lead and title track expands on the theme stretching out to a full 2 seconds allows the band to really explore the overarching philosophy of "to not settle for some but to always go for All."  Melodically simple (as I suppose a 2 second song is bound to be), the music nevertheless conveys a deep insight into the band's influences from the punk and post punk era. The lyrics, "No, All!" while seeming self-explanatory bear repeated reading in order to fully comprehend the intricate nuances.  When Milo Aukerman left the Descendents, the remaining members formed a band named All which I got to see live sometime in 1991 or 1992.  It was a good show. 

"2013" by Mothers

From Panamanian Times.  Another cool track from the Mama Coco's Funky Kitchen band Mothers from their most recent album Panamanian Times.  Some good vibey punk rock and a nice palate cleanser from the spicy Descendents' track.  Not so much fond of the year, but I love the song, "2013".

"Cusp" by Forebear

Cinematic L.A. Progressive Folk band Forebear return to the shuffle with another track from their self-titled EP. 

"Killing What's Left of Me" by Dead in 5


Dead in 5 bring some Detroit Hard Rock and outlaw attitude to the morning shuffle. It was a perfect bit of raw power to drive me forward toward work after a long and enjoyable weekend.  The album is called Schizophrenic Razor Project.  The graphics are awesome and the music delivers on the promise of the visual images.... CRACK!

"Trudy and Dave" by John Hiatt

From Slow Turning.  After the raw energy of Dead in 5, I really needed to come down a bit before I faced my workplace.  Who knows, I might have punched someone... not really, but I might have thought about it.  A great song from one of my all time favorite artists.

"Talking Thunderbird Blues"  by Townes Van Zandt

Taken from a 1973 live recording...  What a better way to get ready to solve the whole world's problems (or at least my tiny corner of the world) then to listen to a song about drinking Thunderbird wine for the very first time... 


VIDEO PLAYLIST



             

No comments:

Post a Comment