Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - Freaked Out for Another Day Mix



I have a major announcement.... truth is that even if I did have a major announcement, I would probably wait until tomorrow to make it... Truth is, though, as the weather is heating up so is the music scene here in Nashville (and probably in your city, too).  Tons of great shows are coming, so get out to your local venues and festivals and whatnot and support real music made by real people.




"Maggie May" by Rod Stewart

From Every Picture Tells a Story... a song that begins with the words "Wake up" is a good enough way to start a morning shuffle. I have always loved this song.

"Easier" by SOJA (feat. Anuhea)

SOJA are a Pop/Reggae band from Arlington, VA.  Anuhea is a Pop/Reggae artist from Hawaii.  This song is on SOJA's  most recent album Amid the Noise and Haste, and I grabbed it off an ATO Records sampler on Noisetrade.

"Hurricane" by Amy Speace

Nashville is proud to claim Amy Speace.  She has been getting quite a bit of well-deserved praise for her brand new release That Kind of Girl.  This song is from her 2014 EP Same Old Storm and has the sound of a song that has been around forever... absolutely stunning.

"A Love Supreme" by David Liebman

From the album David Liebman Plays Coltrane and Shorter... This Coltrane composition is one of my all time favorite jazz pieces.  A perfect soundtrack for a morning driving through the burgeoning city.

"Willie Sugarcapps" by Willie Sugarcapps

The first of what should be many songs from artists I saw at the Safety Harbor Song Fest... the title track and band theme song... Willie Sugarcapps were a crowd-pleaser at the festival and won over several new fans based upon conversations I had.

"Daily Mail" by the transcendents

From New Zealand where it is no longer April Fools Day (if they even have April Fools Day in New Zealand) and from the band's self-titled debut... I am really digging this band and I hope you will check them out. Here is the link to download their music on Bandcamp.

"No Fun" by The Stooges

The Stooges probably didn't know that they were making proto-punk music when they recorded this album 46 years ago this month.  The raw power and dangerous energy makes this album sound fresh up to this day. 

"Ode" by Soul Asylum

I think I've said this before, but it bears repeating this album, the bands 1988 major label debut is one of my favorites and probably my favorite by Soul Asylum.  To me, this album was the perfect balance between punk and hooky pop music.  The current line-up of Soul Asylum recently announced a tour with Meat Puppets - perhaps suggested by my recent inclusion of both bands in my morning shuffles????  Can you prove that that isn't true?  Don't answer that....


VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment