Monday, April 20, 2015

Monday Morning Music Shuffle - Who Knows? Not Me Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

It's apparently some holiday which you should celebrate as you see fit... 

In honor, today's shuffle hits only high points...


"The Man Who Sold the World" (David Bowie cover) by Richard Barone

Richard Barone's 1987 album Cool Blue Halo was recorded live and is one of the most stunningly beautiful albums made and one of my all-time favorites.  Here is a classic Bowie cover from that album.

"Happiness" by Grant Lee Buffalo

A great song from the band's  1994 second album, Mighty Joe Moon. This song was used at the end of a season 1 episode of the television series, House.

"That Black Bat Licorice" by Jack White

From White's 2014 album Lazaretto.

"(Do the) Instant Mash" by Joe Jackson

Look Sharp! was the 1979 debut album by Joe Jackson.  I first "discovered" Joe Jackson when Night and Day came out in 1982, but this album has become one of my favorites.  "I don't work in supermarkets any more..."

"Terrifying Love" by Marshall Crenshaw

It's been fun listening again to Downtown.  The album came out in 1985 when I was in college, and I listened to this quite a bit while driving around town, so much so that these songs are imprinted upon my memory with the sights and feelings of that time.

"Wonderful Doom" by Ron Muga

The title track from Ron Muga's 2014 album, a devastatingly beautiful song.

"America" (Simon and Garfunkel cover) by First Aid Kit

The title track from an EP released earlier this year by the Swedish duo, and a gorgeous cover of the Simon and Garfunkel classic from Bookends.

"Feels So Good" by The Record Company

The title track from the L.A. Rock/Blues band's 2013 EP. Digging this record, a bunch.  Proving that when Sue Havlish recommends a band, you need to listen.

"A Time Machine Built for Two" by The Ghoul Goes West

Seriously, I know I say this a lot, and I know I don't post music I don't like, but I really want you all to check out The Ghoul Goes West.  Their latest album is Ghosts and Bones and Blood and Things. There are some classic songs in this shuffle and some of my all-time favorite artists, and this song sounds great to me alongside those songs.  Instant classic? Maybe.  Great song? Certainly.

"Pillar to Post" by Aztec Camera         

Speaking of classics and all-time favorites... from the 1982 album, High Land, Hard Rain.... Roddy Frame and company made such beautiful music.


VIDEO PLAYLIST


   

No comments:

Post a Comment