Friday, April 24, 2015

Friday Morning Music Shuffle - Best as I Can Rember Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

So I few things.... I added a bunch of music to my playlist night including 3 mutli-artist compilation/samplers/mixtape deals. Several of those new songs showed up today in the shuffle... speaking of which, I had a little glitch in the middle of the shuffle and lost the history of the first several songs in today's shuffle, so I had to recreate from memory, I may have missed a song (but if I did it will come up again) and the order is almost certainly not correct.  Now, I do realize I could have just posted this with the disclaimer, but in the spirit of authenticity, I needed to let you know that.  I hope this will not impede your enjoyment of the shuffle.  



"Runaway Man" by Bullfrog Willard McGhee and Tad Walters

Thanks to Popa's Tunes and his recently revived Popakazooza mixtape, I have added the Piedmont Blues Guitar work of Bullfrog Willard McGhee and the music of Floyd Council (who wrote this song) to my musical vocabulary.  Check it out!

"Waiting" by Mouth Reader

Mouth Reader are from nearby Murfreesboro, TN, and to be honest, I cannot remember how I was first introduced to them, but thankfully, I was, and so, I got a nice little message from Bandcamp when they recently released some new music, and so I scooped it up, and so far, I am loving it very music. 

"Everybody's Happy Nowadays" by The Buzzcocks

The April Feel Bad For You Mixtape featured songs used in commercials.  It turns out that this Buzzcock's song was featured in a 2007 AARP commercial.  Yes, I feel old now.

"Theme from Harry's Game" by Clannad

Clannad was the band that gave Enya her start.  This song was written for a television series about the Troubles in Northern Ireland. It appeared on the Clannad album Magical Ring.  In 1992, the song was used in a Volkswagen commercial. So, it is our second track from the Feel Bad For You folks.

"So Real" by Clear Plastic Masks

Clear Plastic Masks helped to wake me up after the Clannad song... nothing against Clannad, but maybe not the best choice for a sleepy morning commute.  This band is from Nashville and came to us from a new Noisetrade Mixtape of artists who will be appearing at Bonnaroo (which I never know how to spell despite the many years it has gone on).

"Pedestrian at Best" by Courtney Barnett

Courtney Barnett is from Australia. This song is from her debut studio album called Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit.  This song is also on the Bonnaroo mixtape, and I dig it a lot.

"White Room" by Cream

The classic song from Wheels in Fire comes our way from the FBFY mixtape.  It was used in a 2000 Apple commercial.  It prompted me to think about classic songs showing up in advertisements.  Growing up in the 1980s, I can remember the disdain expressed by some people about iconic tracks from their youth being used to hawk cars and whatever, and I also remember the first time an iconic song of my youth was similarly used, and how I felt somehow violated, but then I got to wondering how many younger people discover great music from first hearing it played in a commercial, and if that makes it a fair trade off.... then I thought about how many current songs are being used in commercials. Then, I saw something shiny and I forgot what I was thinking about.  But, yeah, Cream!

"Bohemian Like You" by The Dandy Warhols

Another song used in a commercial.  This was used in a British T.V. commercial a year or so after it was released  (from the Portland band's 2000 album Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia).  And, I just realized that this song is about as old as the Cream song was when I was in high school...

"I Don't Wanna Be in Love" by Dark Waves

Dark Waves are an L.A. Indie Pop band - this song is from their 2014 EP Dark Waves. This is the third track of the day from the Noisetrade Bonnaroo Mixtape.   Adding a bit of electro-romantic pop music to the shuffle.


VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment