Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - Those Who Do Not Play to Lose Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Made it to mid-week.  I am seriously thinking about finally producing Volume 2 of Ear to the Ground Presents... details coming soon...

Shuffle!

"East of West" by The End Men

The End Men from Brooklyn were the 2013 Ear to the Ground Band of the Year, and they remain the most mentioned artist in the history of the blog.  The just released their latest album, Terms and Conditions, and unfathomably they have managed to top themselves again.  Augmented the sax work of Matthew Elia, the band digs deeper into the rough hewn, dirty blues which first caught my attention, while also expanding their sound into exciting and interesting new directions.  I got to listen to the whole album last night, and I was blown away.  Meanwhile, this song from that album showed up first on the shuffle this morning.  Visit their website for all the fine print.

"Song for Buck Owens" by David Dondero

You don't know how glad I am that Darrin Bradbury turned me on to the music of David Dondero.  How exactly had I not known about this before now?  How did you? Now, you know.  Go check it out.  I love this song for the one and only Buck Owens.

"Running for Cover" by Ivan and Alyosha

At the risk of ruining my reputation of being well read, when I first heard about Ivan and Alyosha, I thought they were a male (Ivan) and female (Alyosha) duo. (The name comes from The Brothers Karamazov - Ivan and Alyosha are the two youngest brothers) which I owned but never worked up the courage to read.   The band is from Seattle and they make music that is far less intimidating than a Russian novel, but pretty awesome nonetheless.

"Ride" by Cletus Kennelly and Lori Kelley

In another happy shuffle coincidence, today is Lori Kelley's birthday, so Happy Birthday Lori!   Lori is a bright light in the Nashville songwriting scene, and I am happy to be able to hear some of the music she made before she moved here.

"Just One of the Guys" by Jenny Lewis

Man I dig this song from her 2014 album, The Voyager which was primarily produced by Ryan Adams..  If you don't know, Jenny was in the Indie band Rilo Kiley.

"Another Day" by Artur U and the New City Limits

The album is Holiday From Eternity and it was released about a month ago.  This is the lead track from that album.  Artur U and the New City Limits are from Finland, and I dig their music a bunch.  I almost made a passing comment about the abundance of great music from Scandinavia, but then I went on Wikipedia and discovered a way too complicated discussion of what countries do and do not comprise Scandinavia. So, I will suffice it to say that their is a bunch of great music coming from the European continent.

"Lesson Number One" by Marshall Crenshaw

The final track from Crenshaw's 1985 album Downtown.  If I ran the world, Marshall Crenshaw would be one of the best selling and most famous musicians of all time.  Of course, I would likely make a bunch of stupid decisions as well.

"Expositor" by The Vigilance Committee

Another great song from this Long Island Indie band. Exit a Hero is their new album which is scheduled to drop in three days.  Check it out!

"Chains off Me" by The Delta Routine

This is the lead track from this Milwaukee Rock band's albym You and Your Lion which was released back in February.

"You're So Crazy" by The Satisfactors

We close out the shuffle with a straight ahead Rock and Roll song from this Jersey Shore supergroup which includes among its members, bassist Kenny Aaronson who has played with just about every one. Their new album is eponymously titled and is out now!


VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment