Thursday, April 23, 2015

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - We're Going Downtown Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Had a great night of music last night.  Saw legendary songwriter Don Schlitz again at The 5 Spot (he has just one more week in his residency - if you are in Nashville and have not seen this show yet, I highly recommend it).  Then, I headed over to the City Winery - Nashville.  It was my first time in the big room, and I was impressed.  Saw Brian Wright and Liz Longley - a pair of very different, but both amazing songwriters/singers.  My review of their show is posted to No Depression.


"Hold on to Your Hats (We're Going Downtown)" by Science!

From the Seattle band's latest, Alcoves and Alleyways.  A great song for the beginning of my drive downtown for work.

"My Caravan" by Hoodoo Gurus

A deeper cut from Blow Your Cool!

"Love Won't Burn" by Young America

From their EP Pain, Rain, and the Mundane which you can still get from Noisetrade.  The always amazing Lindsay Ellyn provides the background vocals on this track.  For the record, this song covers pain and rain - not sure about the mundane. I am highly anticipating their full-length Good Old Fashioned Pain.  I added a video bonus of a Gram Parson's cover from Young America.

"Country Comforts" by Rod Stewart

Sometimes the ol' shuffle pulls a nice transition like this... moving from the awesome neo-traditional country of Young America to this classic Brit-country track from Rod Stewart's 1970 album Gasoline Alley.  The song was written by Elton John and Bernie Taupin and appears on John's classic album Tumbleweed Connection.  As someone who grew up only knowing Rod Stewart from "Do You Think I'm Sexy" and "Hot Legs", discovering his earlier music was a major revelation for me. 

"My Mama's Dead" by Dream Police

Dream Police is a side project of members of the band, The Men.  This song is from the album Hypnotized which was released in November 2014.

"Half-Assed Blues" by Bark

Another side project - Bark. is made up of two thirds of the Tim Lee 3.  Susan Bauer Lee on Drums and Vocals and Tim Lee on bass, vocals, and others instruments. The debut EP by Bark. is also called Bark.

"Mulberry Street" by Matt King

This is the lead track from Matt King's 2010 album Matt King and the Cutters.

"Black Friday Holiday" by Dead in 5

From the album, Schizophrenic Razor Project.  This Detroit band had a song in the cult film Pro Wrestlers vs. Zombies (which I totally didn't know was a thing, but which I now must see).

"Corners" by The Storm Chronicles

Directly from my inbox comes some very good music which I would describe (upon first listen) as keyboard driven, progressive, pop music.  I will update and revise that assessment as I listen more.  The Storm Chronicles are from the Pacific Northwest.


"Molting" by Shaprece

Adding some Electronic R&B variety to the shuffle...  this comes from an EP of the same name (Molting) by this Seattle artist.  We grabbed the song from the Noisetrade SXSW mixtape.

"Traffic Jam" by A Color Engine

Fortunately, I wasn't in one when I was listening to this :21 second track from the album Voyage Underwater 56 Knots by this now defunct band comprised of Ear to the Ground favorite Don Ryan and Eric Burchfield (Elephant Goes West) another E2TG featured band.   The video we included is a song from the film Eraserhead by David Lynch. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment