Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - He Jumped So High Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Okay... here we go... life is kicking my butt today, but music always helps...   we have a pretty fun and diverse set of songs to smooth out the rough patches...

"Mr. Bojangles" by John Hamilton

Awhile back, I watched a 1973 film called Come On Children. The premise was that the director took a group of suburban youth from Toronto to a farm in the middle of nowhere with just a camera crew.  It was like reality television except it was a film, and it was more authentic than reality t.v.  One of the kids was Alex Lifeson of the band Rush, but for me the star of the film was a kid named John Hamilton.  At the beginning of the movie, he said theme song of sorts to introduce all of the "characters", and the later when inexplicably the kids' families were brought in, Hamilton sang this song (written by Jerry Jeff Walker by the way). 

"History Lesson" by Minutemen

A succinct history of everything.  History Lesson Part II from Double Nickels on the Dime is about Mike Watt and D. Boon seeing their first punk show.  This one is from The Punch Line.

"Coffee" by Matt Phillips and the Philharmonic

From the album, Move. I am really digging on Matt Phillips' brand of upbeat folk-jazz.

"All the Times We Had" by Ivan and Alyosha

The title track from the band's 2013 album.  I've been enjoying spinning this album lately.

"Midnight Crisis" by Michael Sackler-Berner

Likewise, I have been thoroughly enjoying discovering the music of Michael Sackler-Berner. This song was the b-side of "She Loves Love" released in October 2014, and it was the lead track from his EP Fragile Magic which was released in March of this year.

"When Will Runs Out" by Jeremy Gluck/Robert Coyne

Seriously, though, I really do use the shuffle function, and what's more I currently have over 700 songs in my active playlist.  So, the shuffle function must really love Memory Deluxe as much as I do.  Seriously you guys, check out this album.

"Venice" by The Lighthouse and The Whaler

I grabbed this song which was originally on the Ohio band's 2012 album This is An Adventure from a SXSW Noisetrade sampler.  It was my first exposure to the band, and I want to check out more.

"Images and Noise" by Mothers

This was the song that first introduced me to Mothers when I got it on the Mama Coco's sampler.  It is on their album Panamanian Times.  The song lyrically name drops Elton John, The Rolling Stones, and Pink Floyd on top of an persistent and insistent riff.

"If She's Gone, Let Her Go" by David Schnaufer

I was fortunate enough too see the late mountain dulcimer master David Schnaufer play around Nashville in the late 80s to early 90s.  I rescued the album Dulcimer Sessions from the CD bins at Goodwill and I am happy to bring it to you. Check out his music.

"Sonic Boom" by Gear Daddies

From Billy's Live Bait.  This song for me captures so well the restless boredom of the  suburban life of a teenager.

"Wonderful" by Taco Land

Putting things in perspective and lifting me up, comes this song from #E2TG favorite Taco Land.  Joseph "Taco" Russell wrote this song after watching his young daughter play after her first round of chemo.  The last report I got is that her cancer was in remission, and sending love and good vibes that news is still current.

"Bomb Disneyland" by The Fat White Family

Wow Shuffle! Really? Following up such a sweet and uplifting song as Wonderful with this?  Bomb Disneyland is a raucous and totally inappropriate song from the band's album Champagne Holocaust.  You know, though, sometimes when you are down, just need a little raucous inappropriateness...  


VIDEO PLAYLIST




No comments:

Post a Comment