Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - Later Than You Think Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

You know the Nashville Conundrum I mentioned a couple of weeks ago?  Well the is a addendum to that conundrum (or something like that).. that is... there are amazing things happening every single night of the week, and (especially if you work a day job), there are nights that you just have to stay in to recharge, refresh, and do some of your own work...  Last night was one of those nights, and yes, I missed some amazing things happening around town, but I am glad that I stayed in, and I got something accomplished...

Case in point, I added a couple of things to my Soundcloud... bits and pieces from my novel-in-progress which you can check out... (there may be some NSFW language/themes, depending where or if you work...)





On to the shuffle:

"Love You Till Friday" by The Replacements

#E2TG Rule # 15*: Any shuffle that begins with a Replacement's song is a good shuffle.   *I decided to start making up random rules so that when being a Earie (as in Trekkie) becomes a thing, someone can compile them all... you know like the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition.  I may make a language, too. Who knows...  But, yeah, this is from Sorry Ma... and cheers to those seeing the 'Mats in Chicago tonight.

"Episode in a Town" by Jeremy Gluck/Robert Coyne

After a brief respite, Jeremy Gluck returns to the shuffle with song from his album Memory Deluxe: I Knew Buffalo Bill 2.  This is a reprise of a song on the original I Knew Buffalo Bill album which was released in 1987.  The album featured the late Nikki Sudden and his brother, the late Epic Soundtracks (both of Swell Maps), along with the late Jeffrey Lee Pierce (Gun Club).  Gluck was a founding member of the Barracudas, and he is very actively making a bunch of music with different projects... and I'm sure he will work any factual missteps I made in the above blurb.  I also found out that he lives very close to long-time #E2TG favorite Tipi Valley.  This is a truly great song, by the way.

"Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think)" by Guy Lombardo and his Orchestra

Some timely advise from the late, great bandleader... Man oh man, what a great song.

"Waves" by Bahamas

From the Noisetrade Bonnaroo Mixtape.  Bahamas is Afie Jurvanen a musician from Toronto. If you know anything at all about Bahamas, then you know more than I do... This was (I think) my first exposure to his music, and I kind of dig it.

"Molly and Ten Brooks" by Townes Van Zandt

#E2TG Rule #28: Any shuffle with Townes Van Zandt is a good shuffle. Rule #28.1: If that Townes song happens to be a cover of a song that  Bill Monroe  recorded... well, that is just fine. On this live recording, Townes refers to this as a Bill Monroe song, but it is actually a traditional song from the 19th Century... but Townes didn't have Wikipedia in 1973 when he said it... so...

"The Bulrushes" by Richard Barone

The opening song from Barone's Cool Blue Halo.  This song originally recorded by his old band, The Bongos, serves as a gorgeous jumping off point for this extraordinary live album.

"Thinkin' Bout Chicago" by Rich Robbins (Produced by Nate France)

When we last caught up with Rich Robbins, he was going by Christian Robins.  He released an album called Nimbus.  Robbins was born in Chicago, raised in Philly, and moved back to Chicago for high school.  He is currently attending the University of Wisconsin in Madison which is how I first got introduced to him (Robbins studied under a friend of mine from my hometown). I have really digging his music from day one, and it is good to hear the lyrical and musical evolution which has occurred since then.

"Tell Her Lies and Feed Her Candy" by The Sadies
Our second Toronto-based artist/band in the shuffle.  This is a cover of a Porter Wagoner song.

"Little Rock and Roller" by Steve Earle

This song from the classic Guitar Town album makes me think of some of my musician friends who balance raising kids with life on the road.  A touching and heartbreaking song.

"The Landlocked Surfer" by Steelism

Another steel guitar driven, surf, instrumental track from 615 to Fame, Steelism will be playing the still brand new Basement East on Saturday.

"Twenty First Century Believer" by The Naddiks

Another song from 21CB, by The Naddiks from Canberra.  I've been enjoying the hell out of this album.


VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment