Monday, April 27, 2015

Monday Morning Music Shuffle - Bouncing in to Graceland Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Last night, I took in a fine show at 3rd and Lindsley with East Nashville songwriter Aaron Lee Tasjan opening for the legendary Ray Wylie Hubbard.  And, yes this was as badass awesome as it sounds like it would be... but don't take my word for it... okay, take my word for it... read my review at No Depression...

Tonight I am seeing some up and comer named Bob Dylan. Heard some good things about him...

Shuffle-wise, we start off the week with some good stuff.


"Been Lookin' For" by Whiskey Shivers

I've noticed that some #E2TG favorites like Francie Moon  and Black Jake and the Carnies have been opening up for Whiskey Shivers on their current tour.  I knew I liked Whiskey Shivers for some reason... or something like that.  Cool stuff...

"Mereana Mordegard Glesgorv" by Batkhi Dahn

Proving I'm not that hip, I had to Google the title of this song from Batkhi Dahn's awesome new record, Plays 15.  The title refers to an internet legend about a mysterious You Tube video and a curse of some kind.  If you are curious you can Google it to.  In the meantime, check out Batkhi Dahn which is the side project of The Foresters' bassist Hayden Nork.  The music is pretty out there and pretty rad and worth a listen for the not-so-faint-of-heart.

"Because You're Gone Song" by Little Annie and Paul Wallfisch

A gorgeous song from the Noisetrade sampler from the Big Ears Festival held earlier this month in Knoxville.  I don't know how I was not aware of Little Annie before now, but I am completely captivated now. 

"Gray Duck" by Doomtree

From another Noisetrade sampler - this one for SXSW.  Doomtree are a Hip-Hop group from Minneapolis. I dig this song, and I am always glad to bring a multitude of genres/styles into the shuffle. Don't know much about Doomtree, but as I said, I like this song.

"Dunford's Fancy" by The Waterboys

A Steve Wickham instrumental composition from the album Fisherman's Blues. I like  being the blog that transitions from Little Annie's Chamber Torch music, to Hip-Hop, to traditional sounding Celtic music.  It keeps me on my toes.   
"Fathers Be Kind" by Ivan and Alyosha
The title track of an EP, this song also appeared on All the Times We Had.   Ivan and Alyosha are from Seattle.

"The Peak" by American Scarecrows

What is it about Minneapolis?  I "discovered" American Scarecrows due to Noisetrade, and the more I hear, the more I like.

"Greenwood Girls" by Kevin Gordon

Kevin Gordon is from Louisiana but has been a Nashville resident for over 20 years. Around this parts he is legend.  If he's not, he should be a legend everywhere.  If you aren't up to speed on Kevin Gordon, you have a good chance to get caught up quickly.  Tangle the Blue Sky is a sampler of songs from his last three albums, and it includes a duet with the incomparable Lucinda Williams.  It is available on Noisetrade now.

"Graceland" by Paul Simon

Whether you are fan of Paul Simon (the man or the music), Graceland - the album is an undeniable masterpiece and one of the best records of the last several decades. Graceland the song is infectious and near perfect - I think.

"I Love Girls" by The Satisfactors

The thing I love about The Satisfactors is that they don't mince words or beat around the bush. This is just no-frills straight ahead Rock and Roll, and although I like all kinds of music (even sometimes music with frills), there will always be a place in my earhole this kind of music. I can't help it.


VIDEO PLAYLIST



           

No comments:

Post a Comment