Friday, April 17, 2015

Friday Morning Music Shuffle - Get up and Do Something Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

So... I'm having trouble thinking of  a profound intro to this shuffle...  So... it is Friday! The weekend is upon us.  Get up and Do Something!  I snatched that song from the Soul Asylum song in today's shuffle.  Good advise, that I need to take myself sometimes...


"Song for an Angry Young Man" by Beat Rodeo

I was a young man when I first heard this song.  And, I guess I was angry in my own way.  I'm not so young anymore, and I try not to be unnecessarily angry... or at least try to keep my anger working for me rather than against... but I still understand this song, because that "angry young man" is still inside me...

"If It Takes Me to You" by Boy Named Banjo

From their album Long Story Short.  Boy Named Banjo are going to be performing at Bonnaroo, so if you are going down to Manchester in June, look for them on the Club Stage. 

"Karaoke" by Five Eight

This song was on the Athens, GA band's 1994 album Weirdo.  They recently appeared at SXSW and this song came from a Noisetrade SXSW sampler.

"My Rival" by Alex Chilton

From Alex Chilton's 1979 solo album Like Flies On Sherbert.

"Weekend Syndrome" by The Naddiks

Another rocking track from the album 21CB...  The Naddiks are from Canberra, Australia and the weekend is in full swing there.  This and every weekend - have fun, but be careful and act decent to people. Okay?

"An English Gentleman" by James Dean Bradfield

This song is from the 2006 album, The Great Western.  James Dean Bradfield is from the English band The Manic Street Preachers who are doing some American dates in support of the 20th anniversary of their classic album The Holy Bible. I really love this song and so far everything I heard from this record has been amazing.  I am someone who derives great pleasure from "discovering" great music whether it is new or just something I missed out on the first time around.

"Villains" by The Vigilance Committee

I am always happy when some harder edged stuff filters through my inbox.  This Indie/Punk band is from Long Island, and I'm looking forward to hearing more of their stuff.  This song is from their album, "Exit a Hero" which is a concept album about the first vigilance committee established in San Francisco in the mid 1800s.  The album is due out in a week, but you can pre-order via their Bandcamp page.

"Sometime to Return" by Soul Asylum

Damn, ya'll Hang Time is a flat great album....

"Good Old Fashioned Pain" by Young America

Another awesome track from the latest EP  by this band who are currently split between Athens, GA and Nashville, TN.  I've enjoyed getting to know Taylor and Drew (the Nashville part of the band), and I am awful proud of the music they are making.  Pain Rain and the Mundane is out now - via your Normal music portals.
"Old Soul" by Sam Morrow

We featured Sam Morrow a good while back, and it is great to have him back in the Shuffle, and to be reminded of what a great songwriter he is...  from his most recent album Ephemeral.

"I Won't Slip Up" by The Delines

From the Album Colfax, by this great Country/Soul band from Portland, Oregon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment