Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - Gypsy Now Mix



Lot's to cover...

Couch by Couchwest 2015 rolls on, and I am getting further behind on all the great music, but it's a marathon not a sprint... or something like that... actually, I think it is against the rule to use a running analogy when talking about CXCW...  Day 2 included appearances by #E2TG favorites Batkhi Dahn and Matt Prater, and the day ending video featured East Nashville's own Tim Easton playing Ray Wylie Hubbard's guitar from the Netherlands or something like that.  I hope I didn't miss anyone, but I feel like I did.  If so, I will make it up - as I plan to do a mid-week recap as well as a end of festival summary... UPDATE: I remember who I forgot - Tipi Valley - how could I?

Went out last night to see some friends play music...  Kiely Schlesinger was stunning as always, Lindsay Ellyn sounded fantastic, and Taylor Alexander from Young America (who released an EP yesterday and who was joined by Lindsay Ellyn) was awesome and the imagining of a Cher as a traditional country singer was brilliant.

In the opening mic that followed, I enjoyed seeing Fendrick and Peck, Eddie Crummer, Darrin Bradbury, and Zachariah Red.

Now, we have a shuffle to put on....



"Roll Bones" by The Record Company

L.A. Roots and Roll band off their 2013 EP Feels So Good... I just got turned on to them by my friend Sue Havlish, but they have a Wikipedia page and apparently their songs have been all over television.  I may be late to the party, but I am pretty good at catching up quickly.

"Come Around" by [debut]

Our second listen to another L.A. band, [debut] which draws influence from electronic and alternative music.  I dig this song a lot.  The album is called Postcards from Berlin, and is out now.

"Letter Never Sent" by R.E.M.

In the midst of several more recent songs, we have the insistent brilliance of early/mid 80s R.E.M.  From their second album Reckoning.

"Up is the New Bottom" by APE|MEN

Back to the new music.  APE|MEN hail from the "post Iron Curtain fringe of the European Union" and play an intriguing style of indie/alternative/indietronica. Whatever... it's good stuff.

"If You Look for My Heart" by Ben Arthur

Ben Arthur is the host of the web series Songcraft Presents and had an op/ed in the today's New York Times about the Blurred Lines decision. He is also an amazing songwriter.  His next album is comprised of "Answer songs" to various short stories, songs etc.  I've had a chance to give it a listen, and it is incredible.  I will be posting my take on the album soon... in the meantime, we have the title track (and our final song post) from his project "If You Look for My Heart" which was an novel and a genre bending album which I have adored.  The title track is mesmerizing and haunting and gorgeous.  (Video credit to Matthew Hendershot of the 2013 E2TG Band of the Year, The End Men).

"Pray For Me, Mama (I'm a Gypsy Now)" by Jason and the Scorchers

From the classic EP Fervor comes one of my favorite Jason and the Scorchers' tunes (I have a lot of favorite Jason and the Scorchers' tunes.

"Old Father Death" by Jeremy Gluck/Robert Coyne

Another track from the fabulous Memory Deluxe: I Knew Buffalo Bill 2 album.  I have really loved all of this album, and this may (for the moment) be my favorite song on the record.

"Under African Skies" by Paul Simon

From Graceland.  I treasure every opportunity to hear the incredible voice of Linda Ronstadt - here adding incredible background vocals which make this song for me.

"Golden Dreams" by Syd Straw

We close out the shuffle with another song from Syd Straw's Surprise album.  Nice to revisit favorite albums and rediscover why they are one of your favorites.
 
 
 
VIDEO PLAYLIST
(By the way, I wanted to note that today was a rare day where all of the videos are directly connected to the featured song (the video for "Come Around" is of the string arrangement))



No comments:

Post a Comment