Monday, July 18, 2016

The Ubiquitous Howard Rabach



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


(Howard Rabach with The Grey A. Nashville CD Release Show at Stone Fox 9/12/2014)

When I started writing Ear to the Ground in the spring of 2011, I didn't know what to expect. I did not know if anyone would ever read it, I didn't know how long I would keep it up -heck I didn't even know what it was going to be....  At the very, very beginning, the blog was posted on a now extinct site called Posterous.  Unless you count the hundreds of hits from Russia, the first person who ever read and responded to E2TG was Howard Rabach.  He was about my age with very similar musical interests.  We connected in that weird internet way through music.  He was an educator and a musician. He had a band called Ubiquity Machine which seemed to distill so much music that I loved in a very interesting way.  They were one of my early "Bands of the Week" (which was a feature I had at the beginning of the blog).

At the end of 2011, I decided to do this massive on-line poll to the select a "Band of the Year" and included all of the "Bands of the Week" in the poll.  Ubiquity Machine lead for much of the polling period only to fall to second place after what was surely widespread voter fraud.  Still, I has happy that the finished so high in the poll.  When I made my first (and so far only) Ear to the Ground Presents compilation, I included a song by Ubiquity Machine (that song is embedded below).

Fast-forward a couple of years to the fall of 2014, and Howard decided to pursue music full-time and he had joined a band called The Grey A.  I reviewed the band's album and posted the review on No Depression, and that review made it onto the home page of the site. The album was recorded in Middle Tennessee and featured some local musicians, so they had a CD Release show here in Nashville.  So, I finally got to meet Howard and see him work his bass magic.

So, I hear Howard is rapidly approaching a landmark birthday. Therefore, it seemed like a good time to tell him how important he is to me and to E2TG. I have no doubt he will ROCK this new decade of life!




No comments:

Post a Comment