Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Wild Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - With a Microphone Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

I'm just going to leave this right here...



It is Wednesday... time to dive into our Wild Wednesday Shuffle....


"Wishing My Life Away" by Taylor Alexander

Let's start off with a song from one of my favorite songwriters/singers/people.  From his debut solo EP, Real Good at Saying Goodbye. 


"Bring My Baby Back" by Dr. Dog

I think I've shared this before.  I completely missed out on Dr. Dog for a long time because I had this idea about what their music was like without having (consciously) heard it.  Thankfully, I did finally listen, and I am a fan now. This is from their latest album called Psychedelic Swamp. 

"Filipina Sex-Ray" by The Zillatones

Because it IS Wild Wednesday, let's move on with some surf rock music from Hong Kong - via a Continental Magazine compilation that I picked up at a surf rock show in Nashville last year.  

"Roy" by RB Morris

Next up, the Poet-Laureate of Knoxville, Tennessee with a song about a guy who claimed to have known country songwriter Don Gibson. I got this off of a compilation put out in the late 1990s by Oh Boy Records called Lucky 13 that featured label founder John Prine, The Bis-Quits (a band that featured Will Kimbrough, Tommy Womack, and Mike Grimes (aka Grimey)), Keith Sykes, and Donnie Fritts among others.  A great song.  

"Good Ship Jesus" by Adeem the Artist

Staying put in Knoxville for the moment - we have another song from the outstanding album, Kyle Adem is Dead.  After seeing him play live last month, Adeem the Artist has ascended into the top tier of my favorite songwriters. Check him out if you have not done so. 

"Field Commander Cohen" by Leonard Cohen

A live recording from a 2012 soundcheck. This was the opening track on Cohen's 2015 album Can't Forget: A Souvenir of the Grand Tour.  Field Commander Cohen was the title of a previous live album recorded in 1979 and released in 2001.  The song first appeared on Cohen's 1974 fourth studio album, New Skin for the Old Ceremony. 

"The Charade" by D'Angelo and the Vanguard

Back at the end of 2014 and 2015, a bunch of my folk music playing friends were talking about this album (Black Messiah)...  Subtext: (Nashville/East Nashville folk/country/Americana songwriters (at least the good ones) have an amazingly wide range of musical interest and knowledge).   In any event,  this is, in my opinion, one of the best albums of the 2010s so far. 

"Handlebars" by Flobots

If you listened to the "One Hit Wonders" show of Double Shot with Joe and Sue (on WXNA-LP Nashville 101.5fm, streaming at wxnafm.org), you may have heard this song. This was a top 40 hit for Flobots back in 2008.  I remember seeing the band perform this on late night television and being really impressed. This was about the time, I was emerging from a period of feeling really out of touch with current music. I still dig the song and it has a great video. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment