Thursday, April 27, 2017

Topical Thursday Morning Shuffle - Pad Thai Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Today is Topical Thursday (previously Theme Thursday or something like that - and changed for no good reason).  Ever since the beginning of this year, I have been running on one topic or theme which I have alluded to but never outright explained. Originally my idea was to change topics every month, but a combination of laziness and the continued relevance of the original topic kept me from doing it. Beginning next Thursday - if all goes according to plan), I have a new Topic for the month of May.  Don't get the me wrong, the original topic is still, unfortunately, very relevant, but I am starting to become aware that this is a marathon and not a sprint... Stay tuned.

One week from today, I will be writing to tell you about the previous night's opening ceremony of the E2TG Residency. Now, I am telling you that Mark Robinson Band is coming up in less than a week!  Time to get off the fence and solidify your plans.  Otherwise, you will be reading my recap and saying, I wish I had gone. You don't want that!



So, here we go with the topic.  As I have said every week since I started this process.. The connection between these songs and my chose topic are strictly made up in my head.  I don't pretend to know nor do I wish to imply that the creators of these songs had a particular intent for the song that coincides with my interpretation.  There.... A couple of longish songs - so we have a short but sweet list.


"The Burning Bridge" by SeepeopleS
An instrumental from the Hate EP.  As this song came up, I had this sinking realization that SeePeopleS played The End last night, and that I had received an invitation to go. My excuse is that I was totally exhausted and could barely pry myself off the couch. I hope the show went well, and I hope I can see them next time around.  

"Dark Night of the Soul" by Tom House

Thanks to Mary Sack for introducing me to Tom House, and then later introducing me to this album.  The album is a few years old, but it is some of the most brutally honest songwriting I have heard in a while. Tom House is a true original and a Nashville treasure. 

"Something Wicked This Way Comes" by Lucinda Williams

Next up, a song from Lucinda William's 2014 double album, Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone. The song borrows it's title from one of my favorite Ray Bradbury books.  Speaking of Lucinda, a group of Nashville's best musicians (including some friends) are going to cover Williams' classic Car Wheels on a Gravel Road album AND they are also covering Steve Earle's Copperhead Road on the same right. That is Saturday night at The B'East. 

"Lies" by Low


 Next, we have a track from the 2015 album by Duluth, Minnesota band Low, Ones and Sixes was the name of the album.  Low is one of those 90s bands that, due to timing and life stuff, I kind of missed out on. I got this song from a mix CD that a friend sends out every year, and I really dig this tune. 

"Evil" by Tomas Doncker Band

Next up, long-time E2TG favorite Tomas Doncker and his band with a Willie Dixon penned song originally recorded by Howlin' Wolf.  It was the lead track of Doncker's Moanin' at Midnight: The Howlin' Wolf Project album.  

"Bah Humbug Ramadan (Pad Thai)/Cool  Rap Tune About Donald Trump" by Discount Ravioli

We close things out with a six minute track/mashup from Dord Music Group artists Discount Ravioli.  This is from the debut release Robin Schultz and the 21 Prayers. The album was recorded in a tent on Independence Day 2015.  Dord Music Group is the collective formed by The Foresters to release their own music, side-projects, and friends. The Foresters are getting close to announcing the details of their latest album - the follow up to Sun Songs, and we learned that they will be appearing at Athens Pop Fest in August - the lineup includes Superchunk, Apples in Stereo, ESG, Elf Power and many more.  



No comments:

Post a Comment