Wednesday, December 18, 2019

E2TG 2019 Recap - Part 8 - Butterfly Mix (Moonlighting Remix)



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!








Took on the last $2 Tuesday last night with E2TG fave Jason Erie, Rhyan Sinclair, host Derek Hoke, and Ward Hayden and the Outliers (whose Don't Judge a Book album we covered here this year).  In the late night hour, an uplifting full-band set from Jon Latham - featuring some Christmas tunes and special guests.  It was exactly the sort of night I needed.


Let us jump back into our recap of 2019.  Some cool music today.  Dig it!


"Moonlighting" by Bryan Haraway (from Bryan Haraway)

"God Bless the Ramones" by Jason Ringenberg (from Stand Tall)

It is great seeing your heroes still making music over 30 years later. It is even better when they are making new music.  And best yet, when they make an album that easily stands alongside the classics that you were first drawn to.  Such is the case with Stand Tall from Jason Ringenberg (Jason and the Scorchers).  An artist residency at Sequoia National Forest energized Ringenberg's songwriting.  This track - one of my favorites from the album - recounts Jason and the Nashville Scorchers opportunity to open for the Ramones on a Texas tour. 

"Rhythm of the Rain" by Amelia White (from Rhythm of the Rain)

Amelia White is a more recent Nashville favorite of mine. She is a wonderful performer, songwriter, and person.  Rhythm of the Rain - which was released in a different format in the UK last year - kicked off 2019 and remained one of my favorites of the year throughout.  Word on the street is that White has laid down some tracks with some heavy-hitters, and I look forward to seeing what she has up her sleeve next. 

"You're My All" by Tommy Jones and the Troubadours (from The Truth Will Out)

"Butterfly" by WesdaRuler (from Ocean Drive)

"One More Song" by Nick Nace (from Wrestling With the Mystery)

I first heard Nick Nace's music when he played my residency back in 2017 (which may sound strange, but he was recommended by Jon Latham and that was good enough for me).  Wrestling With the Mystery had been highly anticipated by me, and it lived up to all expectations.  There isn't anything fancy about Nick Nace's songs or his approach.  Just fine, fine songs presented in a straightforward manner. And honestly, here at least, that approached works very well. Another favorite of mine for the year. 

"Pfc Frankie Walker" by The Truehearts (from Songs for Spike)

The Truehearts played my residency this fall. They are more favorites of mine (both as artists and as human beings).  I shared this when I introduced them at my show, I met Debra and Steve before I ever heard them perform. They were such wonderful people that I found myself hoping that they weren't terrible.  Far from it!  And, I think they keep getting better. Song for Spike is yet another of my favorite albums of the year. 

"I Woke Up" by Mouth Reader (from Holographic Phase)

"One Eye Blue" by Daniel Seymour and Mark Robinson (from Chug it Down and Go)

I think Chug it Down and Go was officially released in late 2018, but since I spend December recapping the year that is just ending, I didn't really get around to featuring it until 2019 - so I consider it a 2019 release for my purposes. Nothing is better than talented musicians getting together and having fun. I particularly loved the Cajun feel of this song.  That is the incredible instrumentalist Michael Webb on the squeezebox. 

"Blueberry Fireworks" by Anana Kaye (Single)

Anana Kaye is an artist to watch for 2020.  We were fortunate enough to premiere this video here.  The video stars another amazing local talent - Rosemary Fossee (Stewart).


VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment