Thursday, December 5, 2019

E2TG 2019 Recap - Part 4 - No Roses Mix (Theresa Remix)



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!




Our recap of 2019 rolls on.  E2TG has always been primarily about presenting artists that you might miss out on if you only read or follow some of the more mainstream music blogs and sites. My decision to make this a focus of E2TG came from a point in my life when I felt like I had gotten out of touch with new music.  I wasn't really interested in a lot of the music that certain outlets (which I had previously followed) were writing about. A few things happened that made me realize that there was a ton of great music that seemed just out of reach. 

Over the years, as E2TG has grown and become a little more known (at least in certain circles), I have been fortunate to connect with some great publicists who send me a wide variety of great music. Some of which ends up being by some well-known artists, but I still try to dig through my direct artist  submissions to find a hidden gem or two or three. 

What I am trying to say is that I am quite proud of the quantity and quality of the music I have been able to present this year.  I think the Spotify playlist I created reflects this.  As I mentioned, I have been removing songs as I include them in these recaps - just so that each shuffle is unique and so that we can get to as many of the 160 or so artists we featured this year.  I hope you enjoy this recap.

On we go!



"Riding the Gray Line" by Helene Cronin (from Old Ghosts and Lost Causes)
"What If This Is All There Is?" by RJ Cowdery (from What If This Is All There Is?)

I am heartened by the number of songwriters who happen to be women who have come to forefront this year.  I wanted to give a shout out to Adam Dawson and Broken Jukebox Media for bringing several of them to my attention.  Including the first two in today's shuffle. These have been two of my favorite albums of the year. I have been featuring RJ Cowdery's album What If This Is All There Is? since the spring, and Helene Cronin's Old Ghosts and Lost Causes since the fall. Look these are not great female songwriters.  Let me make that clear.  These are great songwriters. 

"No Roses" by Golden Ghost (from The Big Sleep: Future)

"Vertigo" by I Am a Rocketship (from Mind Graffiti)

"When the Lights Go Down" by Kettleflower (from You Can Run.)

"Song for the Girl With The Replacements Tattoo" by Leland Sundries (from Pray Through Gritted Teeth)

I was a little late getting to this one, but it was great to get some new music from Leland Sundries, and this album was fantastic. 

"Nightmare on Winnikee" by Tito Montana  (from Nightmare on Winnikee)

"Rooster" by Triggers and Slips (from The Stranger)

"Theresa" by Cabinet of Millionaires (from Theresa)

I think I take some cold comfort in knowing that politics in the UK is a screwed up as it is here.  But, I am glad that there are people using music to speak out.  This year I was introduced to Cabinet of Millionaires this year via another great source for me Shameless Promotion PR and Shauna McLarnon. The EP features four version of this song and a second song called "Serve Me".  One of the remixes is by Steve Whitfield who we have covered with his band Klammer.  Cabinet of Millionaires have been described as half band and half blog.  They are active in the resistance. And I salute them!



VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment