Thursday, May 14, 2020

E2TG 5/14/2020 - 9 Years - With Tongues Mix (Moving Faster Remix)



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

So, since I realized that this week (tomorrow actually) marks the ninth anniversary of E2TG, I have been thinking quite a bit about the blog, how it started, how things have changed, where I am now, and where I see things going.

Without a doubt, E2TG has changed my life. So many important people in my life today are only there because I started writing E2TG in May 2011. Some of them may not even know that E2TG is the reason we know each other - but it is.

I have been getting some memories on Facebook and Instagram about my visit to the Cash Cabin on May 13, 2015.  That would never have happened if it was not for E2TG. I likely would not be a DJ on WXNA if not for E2TG.

It all started because I had been making daily posts on Facebook with my morning shuffle - usually three or four songs that I listened to on my walk from the parking lot to my office. I had been doing that for at least a year, and I started adding some commentary. Someone, suggested a do something more than just social media posts and that something became E2TG. A big change was that I suddenly had a reason and motivation to start seeking out new music.  At first, obviously, no one knew who I was and so no one was sending me music - that took time - so I went out and found bands that were following me on Twitter.

Pretty early on, I began thinking of any band or artist that I featured as part of the E2TG "family". Sometimes they didn't know they were part of this family and sometimes they might not have cared, but I did.

At that point in my life, I didn't go out to shows much and I was out of touch with a lot of local music, and then I made some friends from the New York and New Jersey area and suddenly a large percentage of the music I wrote about was from those two Northeastern States. It was kind of funny, but kind of cool - then came Connecticut. Of course eventually, I got in touch with Nashville's incredible community, but the Northeastern influence is still alive and well.

Honestly, I didn't have a master plan when I created E2TG, and I still tend to just go where the muse and the shuffle function take me. I always wish for more time and sometimes I really want to give more attention to an artist or album than I do, and sometimes, I miss opportunities. But, it is just what it is, and for every missed opportunity there have been so many blessings to come my way.  I use the word blessing because that is what it feels like. I don't necessarily assign any specific theological meaning to the term nor I know what it all means.

About the E2TG avatar.


This was a drawing I did for a novel I was (and still am writing).  I did a few drawings (I originally envisioned a multi-media book), but this one - it is supposed to be a self-portrait of a character named Kevin who is an artist - is the only one that stuck.  At some point, I used this as my profile pic on-line and when I needed an image for E2TG I just grabbed this one because it was handy.  So, yeah. I don't fancy myself any sort of visual artist, but I always kind of dug this drawling. 

As for the future... it is unwritten. Now more than ever, there is a lot of uncertainty. I know some of the people I have grown to know and love are hurting financially and missing playing shows, and I and missing going to shows and seeing friends. So, I will just keep going until I stop. For today, I am not stopping. 



    Featured Friday Playlist




Thursday Morning Shuffle

"Sailor's Progress" by Collins Drive (from Collins Drive)
From the self-titled 2017 album by the Georgia band. I could not find a video for this song, so I posted one for a newer song by the band.
"With Tongues" by Pilotcan (from No More Shan Goodbyes)
The recent album by Scottish band Pilotcan. We got to know them last year - with their previous album. I could not find a video for this song either - so I picked one for another track on the same album.

"The Night Before" by Mayflower Madame (from Prepared for a Nightmare)
Another track from Mayflower Madame. Our second this week. Digging their sound. 
"Susan" by Aimee Mann (from Bachelor No. 2 (Or, The Last Remains of the Dodo)
The third solo studio album by the former bassist and vocalist for Til Tuesday. Mann released this album independently when she was between record companies. This album was boosted by the inclusion of some songs on the soundtrack to the movie Magnolia by Paul Thomas Anderson. 
"Roman Cars" by Buffalo Tom (from Quiet and Peace)
From the 2018 album by the Boston band that formed in 1986. This came to me via the 2018 edition of the annual mix CDs put together by a friend of mine from my hometown who now lives in the Boston area.
"Moving Faster" by In Pursuit (from Demo via Nashville80sRock.net)
I downloaded a bunch of old local music for my newish radio show Greetings from Nashville - including this demo from pop band In Pursuit. In Pursuit featured Emma Grandillo, Jay Joyce, and Jeff Boggs. The band had dead smart pop sensibilities.
"(I Know) I'm Losing You" by The Temptations (from The Temptations With a Lot o' Soul)
Why not close out this Thursday shuffle with some Motown - via the classic line-up of this band - led by David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Paul Williams, Melvin Franklin, and Otis Williams. 

VIDEO PLAYLIST



NEW AND RECENT RELEASES

This Week
5/10 - Brett Ryan Stewart - "Let Her Know" (single)
5/11 - Sofia Talvik - "Broken (Steel Guitars in Heaven)" (single)
5/11 - Jonny Polonsky - "Sign in the Window" (single)
5/12 - Kory Quinn & Co. - The Blueroom (LP)
5/11 - Scott Howard - The Language of Clouds (LP) 
5/15 - Special Consensus - Chicago Barn Dance (LP)
5/15 - Zach Aaron - Fill Dirt Wanted (LP)
5/15 - Secret Emchy Society - The Chaser (LP)
5/15  The Room in the Wood - We're the Martians, Now (LP) 
5/15 - Wicked Messenger - "Golden Eyes" (single)
5/15 - Lazerine - "There's Nothing in It" (single)
5/15 - Klashing Black - Thoughts on the Matter (EP)
5/15 - Aimee Steven - "Darling" (single)
5/16 - The Electric Grandmother - Relaunch (LP)

Last Week
5/04 - Black Needle Noise with - "Seed of Evil" (single)
5/04 - Killing Kuddles - "Too Cool" (single)
5/06 - I Like Trains - "The Truth" (single) 
5/07 - Julius and Julia - "Why We Are Here?" (single)
5/08 - Brian Wright and the Sneak-Ups - Lapse of Luxury
5/08 - Watch Clark - Backscatter Effect (EP)
5/08 - Scenius - "Held" (single)
5/08 - Filthy Tricks - "Leah" (single)
5/08 - Vision Video - In My Side (single)


Next Week:
5/20 - Town Meeting - Make Things Better (LP)
5/22 - Victor Wainwright and the Train - Memphis Loud (LP)
5/22 - Lazaris Pit - Conifers (LP) 
5/22 - Beauty in Chaos (feat. Steven Seibold) - "Almost Pure" (single)
5/22 - Ethan Gold - "Not Me. Us" (single)
5/22 - Adam "Ditch" Kurtz - Storms of Steel (LP)

Upcoming:
5/29 - Mick Hayes - My Claim to FAME (LP)
5/29 - G.F. Patrick - One Town Over (LP)
5/29 - Jack Stafford - "Background Worry" (single)
5/31 - Debra Power - That's How I Roll (LP)
6/01 - Bessie Smith - Get in Union (LP) (from the Alan Lomax Archives)
6/05 - Nicole Boggs and the Reel - "None of Your Business" (single)
6/05 - People Without Shows and Inkswell - Plasma Platter (LP)
6/05 - Short Haired Domestic - "A Song in Latin... A Song in Hindi..." (single)
6/05 - Turkeyfoot - Promise of Tomorrow (LP)
6/05 - Delta Maid - Katie (LP)6/11 - Luciano Illuminati - Terra Vision 2020 (LP)
6/12 - Sammy Brue - Crash Test Kid (LP)
6/12 - Andrea & Mud - Bad News Darlin' (LP)
6/19 - Darlin' Brando - Also Too... (LP)
6/19 - Dolour - The Royal We (LP)
6/26 - The Special Pillow - World's Finest (EP)
6/26 - Dedicated Men of Zion - Can't Turn Me Around (LP)
6/?? - Mighty Brother - The Rabbit. The Owl (Double LP)
7/03 - Nicole Boggs and the Reel - None of Your Business (EP)
7/03 - Paul Nelson - Birmingham Woman (LP)
7/10 - Hurricane Ruth - Good Life (LP)
7/10 - Fintan McKahey - "Platinum" (single)7/10 - Nocona - Los Dos (LP)
7/17 - The Bobby Lees - new album (LP)
7/24 - Tawny Ellis - Love Life (LP)
7/24 - Lee Gallagher - L.A. Yesterday (LP)
8/28 - The Northern Belle - We Wither, We Bloom (LP)
10/16 - Malin Pettersen - Wildhorse (LP)

Recent:
4/01 - HMS Morris - "Poetry" (single)
4/02 - I Am A Rocketship - "My Nature" (single)
4/02 - Steve Forbert - "Rand" (Pandemic song) (single)
4/03 - Chip and the Charge Ups - Lightning in Our Veins (LP)
4/03 - Surrija - Surrija (LP)
4/03 - Stumbleine - Sink Into the Ether (LP)
4/03 - Neutrals - Rent Your House (EP)
4/03 - Clwb Fuzz - "No Heaven" (single)
4/03 - Weeks Island - Droste (EP)  
4/03 - The Mystery Plan - Zsa Zsa (LP)
4/03 - Tiny Fighter - Going Home (LP)
4/03 - Hallows - Subtle (EP)
4/03 - Ferdous - "Counting Stars" (single)
4/03 - Stick Crickets - "Eternal Suck" (single)
4/03 - Borrowed Chords - "Let Me Go" (single)
4/08 - Zilverbacks - The Dark Horse; At A Time When Time Was Irrelevant (LP)
4/06 - Sean Alan - "The Day That Brought the Whole World to Its Knees (single)
4/08 - ex-mothers - arrhythmia (EP)
4/09 - Ellison - "Sing" (single)
4/10 - Eliza Gilkyson - 2020 (LP)
4/10 - Dan Montgomery - Smoke and Mirrors (a phonographic memory) (LP)
4/10 - Pokey LaFarge - Rock Bottom Rhapsody (LP)
4/10 - The Dream Syndicate - The Universal Inside (LP)
4/10 - Nikavo - "Yummy Miami" (single)
4/10 - Soul Creole - "Trois Rangs" (single and dub mix)
4/10 - Lady Moon & the Eclipse - "Relationship" (single)
4/10 - Jovi Skyler - Jovi Skyler (EP) and "Gia" (single)
4/13 - Pilotcan - No More Shan Goodbye (LP)
4/15 - Je'Melody - Jaded (EP)
4/15 -Lobelia Lawson - Positive Song Project (EP)
4/16 - Destijl - Greatest Hits Vol. 2 (LP)
4/17 - Paul Burch and WPA Ballclub - Light Sensitive (LP)
4/17 - Le String Noise - Live Album (title ???) (LP)
4/17 - Aimee Steven - "Hell is a Teenaged Girl" (single)
4/17 - Monks Road Social - Humanism (LP)
4/17 - The Academy of the Sun - "The Parts That Need Replacing" (single)
4/19 - Ugggy - "Bicycle Day" (single)
4/20 - Tate and Silas- Rock and Roll (LP)
4/20 - Dopeknife - Breakbeats n' Vandalism (EP)
4/22 - Marco Bonvicini - "Where the Streets Have No Name" (single)
4/23 - The Kecks - "Modern Girls" (single)
4/23 - The Microdance - "Lovesick Kisses" (single)
4/23 - D.G. Adams - "Dangerous" (single)
4/24 - Nicole Boggs and the Reel - "I'm Gonna Break Your Heart" (single)
4/24 - Ben Bostick - Among the Faceless Crowd (LP)
4/24 - Kyle Lalone - Somewhere In Between (EP)
4/24 - Lazaris Pit - "You Don't Tag Me in Memes Anymore" (single)
4/24 - Goldman Thibodeaux and the Lawtell Playboys - title unknown (LP)
4/24 - Petter Carlsen - "Dogs" (single) 
4/24 - Chris Milam - Meanwhile (LP)
4/24 - Felixity - "Twisted Love" (single)
4/24 - The Kings Pond Shantymen - Hold Your Course (LP)
4/24 - 6TH CROWD - "You're Not An Island" (single)
4/24 - Sean Dampte - "Loose Guard" (single)
4/24 - The Northern Belle - "Gemini" (single)
4/24 - Anna Claire Loftis - Happy on TV (EP)
4/28 - Savannah Pope - "He Sees Me" (single)
4/?? - I Am A Rocketship - Ghost Stories (LP)
4/01? - Ten Penny Gypsy - Fugitive Heart (LP)
5/01 - BOAT - Tread Lightly (LP)
5/01 - Laura Cortese and the Dance Card - Bitter Better (LP)
5/01 - Cut Beetlez vs Nice Guys - CBNG (LP)
5/01 - Grenon - "Imaginary Friends" (single)
5/01 - Paul Nelson - "Dying to Forget" (single)
5/01 - Felixity - Love Sick (LP)
5/01 - Easy - Radical Innocence (LP)
5/01 - Griffin Winton - "Think of Me" (single)
5/01 - Ender Bender - EQ
5/01 - The Rad Trads - 99 in October (EP)
5/01 - J.R. Wyatt - "I'm Still Here" (LP)

No comments:

Post a Comment