Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - Not Many Sides Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Just when I think things cannot possibly get any worse, the "President" (I use quotes because I feel the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue has lost the moral authority to lead this nation) opens his mouth again. A few observations about yesterday's press conference/national embarrassment, the sitting US President used stronger words to denounce the press than he did to denounce fascists, racists, and white supremacists.  He placed that same group of hatemongers on the same level as those who actively (and, yes, sometimes violently) oppose them.  He did not name the victim of the fascists/racists/white supremacists but he could take the time to plug his business interest in Charlottesville.

At this point, it seems safe to say that those who still support this man will not be swayed from that support by anything. Yesterday, was metaphorically speaking - shooting someone on 5th Avenue - and while I hope he did lose some votes, it is clear that there are many who still support him.

Also, while I applaud the Republicans on the right who have denounced the President, that applaud is muted until I see action to backup that denouncement.

It seems pretty clear to me that we have a fascist executive branch that is working towards totalitarianism.

I will repeat that - yes I hold primarily leftist views - but I do respect the opinions of those on the right. I believe this nation is best when all sides work together. But when it comes to the people who want to wipe out whole groups of people and who use the symbols of hate and genocide proudly, there is not room for compromise and there are only two sides and there is not moral ambiguity as to which side is evil.

I cannot wait for the day when I do not have to write about things like this in this forum, but that day is not today.
********************************************************************************

We have reached mid-week and Wednesday is when we let things get "Wild" at E2TG.  I shuffle up all the songs currently on my phone and see what happens. I think the term"wild" fits today's shuffle pretty well.....



"Many Rivers" by Jon Byrd

We begin with another great track from Jon Byrd's excellent Dirty Ol' River album.  Jon Byrd and his band Byrd's Auto Parts do not rock, ever, but they do get mighty close sometimes.  Check out Dirty Ol' River if you get the chance.  

"Phonecalls in the Bath" by The Deadline Shakes

The Deadline Shakes are from Glasgow - we started writing about their album Zealots back in late 2015.  I am a big fan of this band, and this may well be my favorite song on the album. It was the first release from the album back in June of 2015.

"Vices" by The Quick and the Dead

The Quick and the Dead were a relatively short-lived band that featured our friend Joe Mansman who we met as part of The Cosmonauts and who now fronts Joe Mansman and The Midnight Revival Band. Easy Getting By was the name of the EP by The Quick and the Dead.

"Atlantis" by Metal Urbain

Metal Urbain was one of the first French punk bands who formed in 1976. This track comes from that really cool Thirteen O'Clock compilation which I got a while back and have featured periodically. Lots of fairly obscure early punk and new wave bands. 

"I Ain't Got Nothing (If I Ain't Got You)" by Dan Brodie


We have another track from the Lost Not Found album.  This is one of two original songs on the album.  I dig it.

"(Sweet) Mental Revenge" by The Long Ryders

Next up, we have a cover of a Mel Tillis song by the groundbreaking L.A. band The Long Ryders from their debut 1984 album Native Sons. The bands front man Sid Griffin is currently a member of The Coal Porters whose latest album we have had the chance to feature. 

"I Can't Dance to the Smiths Anymore" by Rat Fancy

I got to see Rat Fancy at Athens Popfest a week ago. They are a twee punk band from L.A.  They are signed to Happy Happy Birthday to Me Records - which is also the label that released the Kristin Hersh album that we are currently featuring.  Really loved Rat Fancy's live set, and I'm digging this song. I will seek out more. This is from their debut album Suck a Lemon. 

"Falling at Midnight" by Shadow 15

Next another track from Nashville 80s band Shadow 15.  I know I have said this, but it has been fun digging deeper in this band's music. I was familiar with a few songs going back to the 1980s, but Far Away - the compilation is solid beginning to end. 

"Little Boxes" by Pete Seeger


Written by Malvina Reynolds in 1962, this song became a hit for her friend Pete Seeger a year later. I got this off the 1974 Compilation The World of Pete Seeger.  Of note: Malvina Reynolds version was included on the CD Reissue of an album called Ear to the Ground. 

"Minor Swing" by Django Reinhardt

Next we have a recording of the song written by Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappelli. It was first recorded in 1937.  A nice addition to the shuffle. 

"Long Low Down" by Whiskey Shivers


And we close things out with a track from the self-titled album by this Austin band. They have a new album called  Some Part of Something, and they will be appearing at the Americana Music Fest in September. 



No comments:

Post a Comment