Friday, August 25, 2017

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - Name and Game Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


To be perfectly honest, I have been a crappy mood most of this week - maybe it is post-eclipse let down or mercury retrograde or something else. Fortunately, I have lived with my brain for long enough to know that this feeling will pass, and to take anything my brain tries to tell me with at least one grain of salt.

The world is a mess.  Time, motivation, and inspiration rarely seem to be in alignment (meaning, I will be inspired and/or motivated to do something when I am busy with some obligation and then when I have some free time - the inspiration and motivation cannot be found). Right now, I'm just battling through and putting one foot in front of the other.

Anyway, it is Friday.  On Friday, we play songs from the "New Music" playlist... I added over 150 songs to that playlist last night (about a third from one album!).  The playlist is up near 500 songs and it may be time for a couple of weeks of just "New Music" shuffles to make some headway.  Today, only one of those 150+ additions made it into the shuffle - along with some fairly recent additions and some that have been hanging around for a bit.  All in all, a really cool shuffle... enjoy!


"A Name" by The Coal Men

We begin with another great track from Pushed to the Side by The Coal Men. The Coal Men are consistently one of my favorite Nashville bands, and when I get to a show and find out Dave Coleman is in the band, I know I am in for a treat. For some reason, my shuffle has been a little stingy spitting out songs from this albun, but the plus side of that is that a year after release I am still having songs pop up. 

"Learning the Game" by Richard Barone

I have always been a fan of songs.  I mean, I dig experimental pieces and I have a growing appreciation of extended jams, but there is a large part of me that feels a particular affinity for THE SONG. I think that is why Richard Barone's love letter to the great songs of Greenwich Village - Sorrows and Promises has been such a favorite of mine.  To be honest, I had no idea that Buddy spent some of the last years of his life writing songs in Greenwich Village including this one which Barone does so well. 

"Letterbox" by The Foresters

Next, we have another track from House Stories - the latest album by Connecticut band, The Foresters.  The Foresters have been an E2TG favorite for most of the existence of the blog.  I am still thinking about the time I got to spend with them and their entourage in Athens earlier this month. Word on the street is that band has already begun work on the follow up album.

"I Need a New One" by Scott Ramminger

Do What Your Heart Says To is the latest album by singer, songwriter, and sax player Scott Ramminger. It was released back in February.  The album was recorded in New Orleans. The album features some impressive musical collaborations including Nashville's The McCrary Sisters.

"Swoon" by Rising Appalachia

I have really been impressed by Alive - the forthcoming live album by this band originally from Atlanta that fuses music from a variety of traditions in a most original and delightful way. 

"Arvin" by Jefferson Ross

I am always blown away when I am introduced to artists only to find out that they are already connected to people I know. I think a part of me thinks - why has no one ever told me about them/him/her... Well, I am glad that I was introduced to the music of Jefferson Ross... coincidentally, like the previous song, this is a live album from an Georgia artist. This one was recorded at the Hillbilly Haiku House shows near Nashville. 

"Come Correct" by Matthew Sweet

We have another track from Tomorrow Forever, the relatively new double album by Matthew Sweet. I think my aforementioned love of great songs is one of the things that makes me gravitate to power pop music. Sweet has been on my musical radar - I guess since (like a lot of people) the Girlfriend album. This new album is his first studio release since 2011's Modern Art. Sweet got his musical start in Athens, Georgia where he is part of the band Oh-OK with Michael Stipe's sister Lynda. 

"Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy" by Discount Ravioli


Trying to play catch up, I just now downloaded Baby Arm Sessions by Dord Recording artists Discount Ravioli.  This download includes 53 tracks of pure joy and wildness. I got to meet the members of Discount Ravioli in Athens recently when they were embedded with The Foresters.  In fact, a couple of the members of Discount Ravioli look eerily similar to a couple of members of The Foresters.  I have included a video of Apples in stereo from Athens Popfest 2017.  The members of Discount Ravioli got to join this legendary Athens band on stage at the Georgia Theater.  Expect much more from this release (like 52 more songs) - plus there is a whole other album I still need to get.  




No comments:

Post a Comment