Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Continuing to have Texas on my mind.  If you want to help and are in Middle Tennessee - here is a local resource to consider.  https://www.cfmt.org/story/hurricane-harvey/

The so-called "Nashville Statement" does not represent the city I love.

I am disgusted daily by the behavior, actions, and words of the current occupant of the White House.

I am back after being sick yesterday.  I did take the down time to watch the 2016 documentary, Gimme Danger, about The Stooges (directed by one of my faves, Jim Jarmusch).  It brought me back to the feeling I had when I first encountered the music of The Stooges.  I think Fun House was the first album I heard, and it was one of those watershed musical moments for me.  It was interesting to see the kind of haphazard way the band came together and how the chemistry of all the pieces seemed to elevate the others.

It's Wednesday, and I'm just going to jump right into the "Wild Wednesday Shuffle" now...


"Brand New Bruise" by The Grisly Hand

This powerful song from this Kansas City based band has been a favorite of mine. It is from their 2015 album Flesh and Gold. I played this on Double Shot.  The song deals head on with the difficult subject of domestic violence - and the vocals really express the confusion, pain, and anger. 

"III (2014)" by Pat Power

Pat Power of 2016 E2TG Band of the Year Valued Customer recently released Chants (which contains three numbered tracks - the third track "III" has a 2014 and a 2017 version.  This is the 2014 version.  Further evidence of why I love these guys from Toronto so much.  Power's VC partner Ugggy is set to release his 7th straight monthly release on Friday.  

"Crawler" by The Stents

The Stents are a Baltimore based garage rock band. This instrumental (surf) rock track came to me via a compilation put out by Continental Magazine.  It is from their 2016 release Invisible Sounds.  

"Motel Room in My Bed" by X

From Under the Big Black Sun - the third album by L.A. punk legends X (who recently had their own day at Dodger Stadium). This was their major label debut in 1982.
"Six O'Clock News" by John Prine

From his self-titled debut album.  The one and only John Prine. It is a tragic song delivered in a way that few writers could or would attempt to handle. 

"Baby's Gone to Memphis" by Mark Robinson

Next up, some cool jamming on the opening track from Robinson's Live at The 5 Spot album.  This one was written by the great Davis Raines and Michael Conner Rogers.  It was included on Robinson's Have Axe - Will Groove album. 
"Summer Wine" by Hazeldine

Next we have a cover of the Lee Hazlewood song made famous by Hazlewood's duet with Nancy Sinatra.  This cover is by the New Mexico alt-country band Hazeldine.  The band were active from 1996-2002.  

"The Good Life (Is Wasted)" by Lambchop

From the 2012 album Mr. M - the long-running Nashville band lead by Kurt Wagner whose membership has included some of my favorite local musicians. I included this song on a Double Shot show awhile back. 

"The Whores Above" by Dan Stuart and  Twin Tones
And we close with another song that I played on Double Shot - this from the former Green on Red (and Danny and Dusty) member Dan Stuart.  It is from his Marlowe's Revenge album with the Mexican rock band Twin Tones.  



No comments:

Post a Comment