Friday, August 18, 2017

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - The Ends or the Means Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Okay.... it's been a pretty intense week.  I don't know what the future holds... I am deeply disturbed by the ugly truths that have been exposed this week. And by the mind-blowing chasm that seems to grow wider every day. As I have said before, it is a chasm not only of ideals and values, but of perception of reality.

I don't know.... I do know that there are beautiful people in the world, and I am fortunate that circumstances have brought me into contact with some of those people. I know that I am profoundly fortunate.  And, I am profoundly grateful for everyone who reads E2TG.

As you might have heard, there is a rare event happening Monday across the US, and Nashville is one of the largest if not the largest city in the path of totality.   My favorite radio station, WXNA, has not failed to notice this event, and on Monday from 11-3pm WEclipseNA hosted by DJ Nekos will provide the soundtrack to the Eclipse.

If you need some Eclipse pre-gaming, tune in Saturday to Double Shot with me and Sue - we will be one for an extra hour 11-2pm with the theme (believe it or not coincidentally) of Night and Day. You might here some Eclipse songs, too.

It is Friday, and we shuffle up the "New Music" playlist for our Featured Friday shuffle.... join me in 3...2...1....


"Police Department Theme Song" by The Electric Grandmother

The Electric Grandmother may be the most intriguing band I have come across in a while. They play what they call Sitcom-Core (see the first video on the link below for more about that). Their new album is called Cancelled - a concept album about a man whose favorite cop show is cancelled (it about more than that, too). This would, one assumes, be the theme song to that show.  Bonus points for the band (in my book): the  booking agent on their Facebook page is listed as GG Allin. 

"The Big Old American Dream" by Nathan Bell

According to Facebook memories, one year ago today, I was at The Family Wash seeing Sergio Webb and Nathan Bell.  It was a great night of music and much needed because I had just learned that my first best friend had passed away.  Music does heal and it also leads the resistance. I am very glad for albums like Love > Fear: 48 Hours in Traitorland which are extremely important in these times in which we live. 

"u z u m a k i" by Ugggy

I was noticing that Ugggy is rapidly rising up my list of most tagged artists. Not surprising given his recent period of proliferation. I continue to be blown away by his talent and originality, and again (I keep saying it) profoundly grateful for whatever it was that brought his music into my life. This is from the mood ring EP which was released July 1.

"Edge of the World" by Mr. Kind

Bay Area singer-songwriter Brian Bergeron was one of the earliest artists I featured on E2TG.  Not long after that, we formed this band with Jonathan DeVoto. This is from their most recent release (November 2016) called The Wild EP.


"Cry in Your Mouth" by The Electric Grandmother

One more from The Electric Grandmother. They are based out of the Washington D.C. area.  I am digging this music so much. 

"New American Dream" by SeepeopleS

Randomly, we have the second track from this shuffle about the "American Dream". This is an instrumental from the Hate EP. 

"Password" by Gloom Balloon

With a name like Gloom Balloon - you know it's going to be both sad and fun.  They call their sound sad psychedelic dance party music. The band is from Iowa, and their forthcoming album is called Drying the Eyes of the Goddess of Gloom, underneath the stars and the Moon" 

"Killing Two Birds" by Kristin Hersh

We next have another track from the album Wyatt at the Coyote Palace double album my Kristin Hersh.  The album is on Happy Happy Birthday to Me records out of Athens Georgia.  The founder of HHBTM, Mike Turner, is also the primary organizer of the Athens Pop Fest that I was able to attended (briefly) last week. It was while there that I made the connection. 

"Why Would the Devil Be Jealous?" by Dylan Galvin


We close things out with another from Remember to Play by Los Angeles (by way of Maryland) singer-songwriter Dylan Galvin.  I am enjoying coming back to this awesome album. 



No comments:

Post a Comment