Thursday, August 31, 2017

Topical Thursday Morning Shuffle - Monkey Cola Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Okay... a lot on my mind... the situation in Houston and surrounding areas is still weighing heavy on my mind. And I need to focus my mind more on the ways people are pulling together rather than the people who are tearing us apart.

Meanwhile, the storm itself is heading in our direction - tornado warnings are popping up to the west of Nashville, and heavy, heavy rain is expected over the next day or so. Nothing like what Houston got, but a lot of rain nonetheless.

I did make it to The 5 Spot last night and caught Lottie, the always awesome Levi Parham, and Flying Buffaloes.  You may recall we premiered their single "Hey ;-) is for Horses" a little while back. This was my first chance to see them live, and they were great.  Props to AGD for putting on a great show and getting a young crowd to an early show at The 5 Spot (I probably bumped the average age up by a good decade or so :-) )

It is Thursday, and as is our want, we offer up "Topical Thursday" and the topic of choice is E2TG - the first six years.  A retrospective look at some of the bands/artists we have written about over the life of this blog...

Shuffle up now!


"Liter of Cola" by Bridge Under Fire

First up, we have a track by Syracuse New York punk rock and roll band Bridge Under Fire.  It came to be from  from a Built4BBQ compilation called The Appetizer.  I picked up this compilation at a show by The End Men and The Slaughterhouse Chorus at the old Foobar a few years back. 

"Where Am I Growing Up To" by Diana Lawrence

Diana Lawrence a Chicago singer-songwriter in the pop jazz vein was featured on E2TG in the early years. Diana Lawrence - a part of Diana and the Dishes - put out a solo album called To: Aging Children.   

"The Next Indie Boy" by The Grimm Generation

Next up, a cool track from one of my favorite records by one of my favorite bands, The Grimm Generation.  The album, The Big Fame was their last. Grimm Jason P. Krug went on to release a solo album The Zen of Losing which lead to him being names Artist of the Year for 2016.  The Grimm Generation had a magical sound that seemed to embody and encapsulate much of my musical background in a cohesive and effective way. 

"Real Good at Saying Goodbye" by Taylor Alexander

Most people would not associate E2TG with the NBC Television series The Voice. But, it appears that I am farm system or something.  First, Sarah Potenza appeared at an E2TG hosted event and later went on to compete on The Voice.  Then, young Taylor Alexander (who was running the sound board at that aforementioned show) became an E2TG favorite first with his band Young America (who showed up in a shuffle last week) and then with his solo EP Real Good at Saying Goodbye. You probably recall he blew everyone away with his audition for The Voice covering Cher as a traditional country song  (something we wrote about him doing a couple years before). This is the title track from that EP. Still one of my favorites. 

"More Than Enough" by Cletus Kennelly and Lori Kelley

Coincidentally, I met Lori Kelley around the same time as I met Taylor and they have shared the same stage more than once. Before moving to Nashville, Kelley was part of a popular D.C. area duo called Cletus and Lori.  I got to see them perform together when Cletus Kennelly visited Nashville a couple of years ago. This is from their album Lotus. 

"Tortured Birds" by Ron Muga

New York singer-songwriter contacted me a few years ago and sent me his excellent album Wonderful Doom.  This is one of my favorite tracks from that album. 

"I Shall Sail No More (No More Shall I Sail)" by Whale Fall

I love that I get turned on to so many different kinds of music from so many different sources.  It sure keeps my attention. Whale Fall are from Los Angeles and they play a really interesting kind of post-rock, instrumental music. This is from their 2014 album, The Maldrean.  From their Facebook page, it looks like a new album is coming. 

"Monkey House" by Artur U and the New City Limits

We close things out with a 2015 "Earie" Award winner (the Far from East Nashville Award). Finnish band Artur U and the New City Limits from their excellent album Holiday from Eternity.   Artur has recently been in New York. It's great to revisit this awesome music. 




No comments:

Post a Comment